F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Race prep 335i
Studio RSR

02-21-2022, 05:17 PM   #199
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakystein View Post
Oh..i see

Btw, anyone running Mosselman oil thermostat with uprated oil cooler? Thibking will it help to stabilize the N55 oil temp as its kinda hot in my country where temp can reach 34c/93f.
Ive got the CSF oil cooler and am planning to use it with the stock oil thermostat to hopefully stabilise the temps at 120c. can reach 40c here is australia so will see how it holds up.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2022, 05:32 PM   #200
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Oh..i see

Btw, anyone running Mosselman oil thermostat with uprated oil cooler? Thibking will it help to stabilize the N55 oil temp as its kinda hot in my country where temp can reach 34c/93f.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobz_au View Post
Ive got the CSF oil cooler and am planning to use it with the stock oil thermostat to hopefully stabilise the temps at 120c. can reach 40c here is australia so will see how it holds up.
I'm running the Mosselman oil thermostat and CSF oil cooler. Will see how it does this season.

I also replaced a good portion of the cooling system and use a CSF radiator as well.
Appreciate 3
      02-21-2022, 10:01 PM   #201
Freakystein
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Great..lets see if it holds up well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I'm running the Mosselman oil thermostat and CSF oil cooler. Will see how it does this season.

I also replaced a good portion of the cooling system and use a CSF radiator as well.
Nice..i was thinking do i need to upgrade the radiator as well...but as the rebuild is quite costly, decide to put that on hold first..
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 08:34 AM   #202
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
This baffle does look impressive, keep it posted here to and let us know the results. I was thinking using the m2 sump and oil pump, but it's quite hard to find a used set and the price for new is pretty steep.

Was tracking the car, everything went great on the early stage, but after about 2 hours of tracking, the car oil temp started going up, then it started to feel like misfire. So i stop the car and didnt continue. Send in for check the next day and thought it was just coil or plugs, but after changing those, the knock became more apparent at low rpm. Here is the pic of the shod rod bearing and crank.
Great job stopping the car when you noticed the misfires, and saving further damage! I was not so fortunate....

I had heard it was not possible to oil starve an N55 F30 on street tires, but I managed to do coming through the Chute at Summit Point. Before I knew what was happening, the car was pulling power, threw a rod through the block, and the engine caught fire. I was THIS close to upgrading to the M3 oil pan and pumps before this event, but the cost was definitely a deterrent.

I was on the fence for a while with either rebuilding the car with a used engine, or selling the chassis and getting started with a apec e46 build. In the end I chose the latter. I will truly miss this car.
      02-23-2022, 09:38 AM   #203
Freakystein
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Great job stopping the car when you noticed the misfires, and saving further damage! I was not so fortunate....

I had heard it was not possible to oil starve an N55 F30 on street tires, but I managed to do coming through the Chute at Summit Point. Before I knew what was happening, the car was pulling power, threw a rod through the block, and the engine caught fire. I was THIS close to upgrading to the M3 oil pan and pumps before this event, but the cost was definitely a deterrent.

I was on the fence for a while with either rebuilding the car with a used engine, or selling the chassis and getting started with a apec e46 build. In the end I chose the latter. I will truly miss this car.
Oh man, sad to hear that, your build was amazing.

Yeah man, was lucky not to seize the engine. But it still need a new crank, which was lucky my mech was able to find 1. Now i do actually have a similar dilemma as whether to rebuild it with the m3 pump and pan as well, but the cost is really high. MMR baffle is also one of my considerations as it is much more cost effective.

The car runs very well and and handle brilliantly with ohlins on the track, but am now thinking whether should i just rebuild it back to stock and get a different car for track as to avoid such issues.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 11:47 AM   #204
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Oh man, sad to hear that, your build was amazing.

Yeah man, was lucky not to seize the engine. But it still need a new crank, which was lucky my mech was able to find 1. Now i do actually have a similar dilemma as whether to rebuild it with the m3 pump and pan as well, but the cost is really high. MMR baffle is also one of my considerations as it is much more cost effective.

The car runs very well and and handle brilliantly with ohlins on the track, but am now thinking whether should i just rebuild it back to stock and get a different car for track as to avoid such issues.
Yeah, that's the dilemma. The F30 is awesome with the right mods, but when something breaks, it's still very expensive to fix. And the N55 (like all modern turbo engines) is certainly not as robust and tolerant of abuse as the old NA straight 6s.

This car took me from my first DE, all the way through being an instructor, and I enjoyed every minute of it on track; no regrets. If my goal were to continue to run DEs and instruct - without pushing the car to its outer limits on the regular - it's still a solid option for that (with the M3 oil pan and pumps of course!). But I am interested in continuing to push my pace, and would actually like to get into club racing, so naturally I came to the conclusion that spec e46 made more sense than a costly rebuild.
      02-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #205
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Yeah, that's the dilemma. The F30 is awesome with the right mods, but when something breaks, it's still very expensive to fix. And the N55 (like all modern turbo engines) is certainly not as robust and tolerant of abuse as the old NA straight 6s.

This car took me from my first DE, all the way through being an instructor, and I enjoyed every minute of it on track; no regrets. If my goal were to continue to run DEs and instruct - without pushing the car to its outer limits on the regular - it's still a solid option for that (with the M3 oil pan and pumps of course!). But I am interested in continuing to push my pace, and would actually like to get into club racing, so naturally I came to the conclusion that spec e46 made more sense than a costly rebuild.
Oh man. Tough to hear that about your car. You had a great build that I was using as a go-by for mine... How many years of track use did you get? Were you overfilling oil a bit on track days? I am not instructor level by any stretch so probably not pushing nearly as much as you. Trying to gauge my approach while saving up for M parts. BTW I am still looking for a vendor for a sunroof insert like you have... Good luck on the new ride!
      02-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #206
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Quote:
Quote:
This baffle does look impressive, keep it posted here to and let us know the results. I was thinking using the m2 sump and oil pump, but it's quite hard to find a used set and the price for new is pretty steep.

Was tracking the car, everything went great on the early stage, but after about 2 hours of tracking, the car oil temp started going up, then it started to feel like misfire. So i stop the car and didnt continue. Send in for check the next day and thought it was just coil or plugs, but after changing those, the knock became more apparent at low rpm. Here is the pic of the shod rod bearing and crank.

Dvc… I'm so sorry for the unfortunate event with the car. Your build is inspiring, I think you made a good choice moving to the spec e46 tho I think you're going to love it.

How many miles were on your engine?
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 11:15 PM   #207
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

For those of you overfill 1 qt of engine oil, how often do you do that? I only go to track days like 2 to 3 times at most a year, and if I overfill it in the 1st track day of the year, do I need to overfill it again before the 2nd track day? This sounds a bit excessive and having too much engine oil isn't good either.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 11:34 PM   #208
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
For those of you overfill 1 qt of engine oil, how often do you do that? I only go to track days like 2 to 3 times at most a year, and if I overfill it in the 1st track day of the year, do I need to overfill it again before the 2nd track day? This sounds a bit excessive and having too much engine oil isn't good either.
I change my oil after each event... its overkill for sure, but not overly expensive
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #209
brigade24
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 X-dive

Quote:

damn, sorry to hear man...you put alot of time in that car. i was thinking for track to go back to my ls1 camaro...easier to prep for track.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #210
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I can attest to that. Here's a snapshot right after my engine seized up at VIR this past weekend LOL. Judging from the oil at the bottom of the car, my engine might have gained a secondary oil drain plug hole as a bonus feature.

146,000 miles, 8SAT, M Sport, RWD, stock (stage 0) tune except for BM3 CEL delete. Other related mods may have been:

- Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler Kit EVO 2
- ER Chargepipe
- ER TIC
- CSF oil cooler (requires additional oil due to extra volume that is added to the system)
- CSF radiator
- Mosselman Oil Thermostat

Handling/suspension mods:
- F80 control arms
- solid rear subframe bushings
- Millway street camber plates
- Ohlins R&T coilovers
- M Performance LSD
- square 255/40/18 Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires (220 TW)

I've always had a 5,000 mile OCI since the car was delivered and I was running Castrol Edge 5w-40 oil which I usually overfill by .5 quarts due to track use.

I looked at the data for the rest of my sessions and oil temps never rose above 250F with this setup which means that the CSF oil cooler and Mossleman oil thermostat should have had sufficient capacity to cool the engine oil as long as the engine was functioning properly.

My guess is that the failure happened about 1-2 laps before my engine seized, locking up my rear wheels, and causing me to have some playtime in the infield after exiting Turn 10.

As to what was the root cause of the failure. It's hard to tell because the engine did have 146,000 miles on it. It's certainly not a new engine by any stretch. Would an M oil sump system have saved it? I don't know because it's lasted for so many miles. For an engine that fails much earlier based on mileage, perhaps. I think someone who is planning on tracking a car with a non M car N55 engine, it's worth having the rod bearings inspected and replaced at a certain interval.
Attached Images

Last edited by Polo08816; 04-25-2022 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #211
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can attest to that. Here's a snapshot right after my engine seized up at VIR this past weekend LOL. Judging from the oil at the bottom of the car, my engine might have gained a secondary oil drain plug hole as a bonus feature.

146,000 miles, 8SAT, M Sport, RWD, stock (stage 0) tune except for BM3 CEL delete. Other related mods may have been:

- ER Chargepipe
- ER TIC
- CSF oil cooler (requires additional oil due to extra volume that is added to the system)
- CSF radiator

- F80 control arms
- Ohlins R&T coilovers
- M Performance LSD

I've always had a 5,000 mile OCI since the car was delivered and I was running Castrol Edge 5w-40 oil which I usually overfill by .5 quarts due to track use.

I looked at the data for the rest of my sessions and oil temps never rose above 250F with this setup which means that the CSF oil cooler and Mossleman oil thermostat should have had sufficient capacity to cool the engine oil as long as the engine was functioning properly.

My guess is that the failure happened about 1-2 laps before my engine seized, locking up my rear wheels, and causing me to have some playtime in the infield after exiting Turn 10.

As to what was the root cause of the failure. It's hard to tell because the engine did have 146,000 miles on it. It's certainly not a new engine by any stretch. Would an M oil sump system have saved it? I don't know because it's lasted for so many miles. For an engine that fails much earlier based on mileage, perhaps. I think someone who is planning on tracking a car with a non M car N55 engine, it's worth having the rod bearings inspected and replaced at a certain interval.
Ugh, another one. Sorry to hear about your car Polo08816. I have a TNiA at Daytona (Rolex full course) next month. Feeling pretty anxious now. Might delay until I get an Accusump or the M setup. I'm not super fast or pushing it by any stretch, but still...ugh!

What are your plans? New engine build?
      04-26-2022, 03:57 AM   #212
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot3Zero View Post
Ugh, another one. Sorry to hear about your car Polo08816. I have a TNiA at Daytona (Rolex full course) next month. Feeling pretty anxious now. Might delay until I get an Accusump or the M setup. I'm not super fast or pushing it by any stretch, but still...ugh!

I think that makes sense - I don't think I'm at a point where I have to switch chassis or platforms yet. It's hard to say without knowing the pricing and condition of used engines. If I could get another 3-5 years of use out of this chassis that would be great.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2022, 05:10 AM   #213
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ooo I saw you said you need additional oil as you have the csf oil cooler and you also overfill by 0.5quart. Does that mean you are filling 7.5L per oil change or 8L?

I’ve assumed that the additional oil for the oil cooler is only needed when you add the cooler the first time, or drain the oil cooler. For all fills after that, I assumed 7L is a full change. Interested to see your thoughts
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 05:13 AM   #214
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot3Zero View Post

Adding the mmr oil baffle was quite easy and cheap. Worth considering. Can check a rod bearing as well and decide if you want to swap them
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2022, 07:18 AM   #215
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ooo I saw you said you need additional oil as you have the csf oil cooler and you also overfill by 0.5quart. Does that mean you are filling 7.5L per oil change or 8L?

I’ve assumed that the additional oil for the oil cooler is only needed when you add the cooler the first time, or drain the oil cooler. For all fills after that, I assumed 7L is a full change. Interested to see your thoughts
So good point.

My factory fill was around 6.75 quarts it seemed to reach max level on the digital oil measurement. CSF cooler would take it to around 7.25 quarts on initial fill. I usually ended up putting in about 7.5 quarts on most oil changes.

I think that even if you overfilled by whatever amount after that, you would still drain out the excess on the next oil change because the plumbing for the oil cooler would take a fixed volume.

I don't think the amount I was overfilling by would have been catastrophic - because it would have blown up at some point during the 2021 track season. I had for about 8 events since the start of the 2021 track season.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 08:03 AM   #216
Tobz_au
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ooo yer 7.5 quarts would be more than fine
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #217
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think that makes sense - I don't think I'm at a point where I have to switch chassis or platforms yet. It's hard to say without knowing the pricing and condition of used engines. If I could get another 3-5 years of use out of this chassis that would be great.
Well, please keep us informed as you undertake it - if you don't mind. Would love to watch the progress and learn from it.
      04-26-2022, 07:50 PM   #218
Foxtrot3Zero
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Adding the mmr oil baffle was quite easy and cheap. Worth considering. Can check a rod bearing as well and decide if you want to swap them
Yeah, watching the progress in the other thread was inspiring for sure. Seeing what you guys did and how it went was very helpful.
      04-29-2022, 04:56 AM   #219
Cal96
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:

- ER Chargepipe
- ER TIC
- CSF radiator

- F80 control arms
- Ohlins R&T coilovers
- M Performance LSD

Wast this a downhill? Can't tell..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2022, 05:40 AM   #220
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal96 View Post
Wast this a downhill? Can't tell..
The oil on the track indicated that it was right at at the top of the hill. We were about to go downhill - well, we did go downhill. The rear axle locked up when the engine seized and we spun into the infield. It's really hard to countersteer because you lose steering assist.
Appreciate 1