F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Back in a BMW again... mod questions
proTUNING Freaks

03-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
FenixMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 Competition

Back in a BMW again... mod questions

Feels good to be back in a BMW again! I picked up a pre owned 2015 435i M sport and while I love the car, it needs a little tweaking. Im going to have ESS Tuning to a dyno tune in a couple weeks, but prior to the tune, ive noticed quite a few on here doing charge pipes, larger intercoolers etc. I don't plan on doing a downpipe any time soon, and unless someone can show some substantial gains with a cat back exhaust, I very much enjoy the quiet ride and only hearing the engine when I get on it. Reading on here, it also seems the intakes are hit and miss with what they add, if anything, and seem to cause more problems than good.

What are the "quick" mods I should look into (brand as well, I didn't do a ton to my 550i or 535i beyond tune and exhaust I built, so still new to the BMW world in that sense) that work well with the tune and wont cause check engine lights, drivability issues, or reduce the reliability of the car. We have hot summers here, so I was going to do an intercooler for sure, just don't know which one is "preferred", and the same with the charge pipes, if necessary, and intake. I can handle all the labor and have access to anything I need, but my domestic background only knows domestic product manufacturers, none of which seem to make BMW parts. I had considered methanol as ive run that on my boosted vehicles before, but we also have E85 at the pump and have seen success in 20-30% mix which will help with charge temps and octane. If the charge pipe is setup for a nozzle, even better in case I decide to do a kit later.

Vendors please feel free to PM or post what you recommend and pricing as well... hopefully with inventory in stock so I can have them done before it goes on the dyno.

Glad to be back as part of the community!

And yes, I need a spoiler on the back too... still researching those and a possible front lip spoiler... trying not to go too crazy on this car, but I would like to add a few things!

Gone but never forgotten...2015 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 550i M-Sport, 2015 M3, 2014 X5 50i M Sport, 2015 435i M Sport, 2011 550i, 2011 535i
Appreciate 2
cjack29.50
MojoRider103.50
      03-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

First off WELCOME and beautiful car.

If I were you, being that you like the quiet refined sounds of the stock exhaust, and it doesn’t look like you are planning to track the car, this is what I would do…

Tune
Charge pipe

If you want a little more sound then get the M Performance Exhaust

I’m a fan of a few cosmetic mods as well including front lip and rear deck spoiler.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Beautiful car.. Love the colour..

Charge pipe is a must on these when tuning as they are prone to popping / cracking. Most charge pipes will come with meth nozzles if you are going that route..

E85 is a great option as well but it works best with something like the JB4 as it can auto adjust to the levels of E-mix. If doing a flash then you will need to develop a map specific to the mix you will be using and you will need to use that mix going forward.

Intake is also recommended with a tune..

Downpipes with stock exhaust sound great and aren't too loud.. SO you may want to consider that at some point in the future..

Again, I LOVE the colour of the car.. She's a stunner..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
First off WELCOME and beautiful car.

If I were you, being that you like the quiet refined sounds of the stock exhaust, and it doesn’t look like you are planning to track the car, this is what I would do…

Tune
Charge pipe

If you want a little more sound then get the M Performance Exhaust

I’m a fan of a few cosmetic mods as well including front lip and rear deck spoiler.
Thank you!
I have buddies at the BMW dealer locally, im actually going to drop it off tonight for the rear spoiler to have it paint matched and installed (and fix an exhaust rattle under the floor board)... the OE front lip is WAAAYYYY too expensive though, so I will be possibly looking aftermarket at a later time if I find one that fits well. I would probably only do an exhaust if it made a performance increase and would stay quiet... on my 550i I noticed some pretty bad restrictions and wanted to hear the V8 and turbos, but even building a full system with Borla XR1 mufflers, it was barely audible due to the factory cats and turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #5
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Beautiful car.. Love the colour..

Charge pipe is a must on these when tuning as they are prone to popping / cracking. Most charge pipes will come with meth nozzles if you are going that route..

E85 is a great option as well but it works best with something like the JB4 as it can auto adjust to the levels of E-mix. If doing a flash then you will need to develop a map specific to the mix you will be using and you will need to use that mix going forward.

Intake is also recommended with a tune..

Downpipes with stock exhaust sound great and aren't too loud.. SO you may want to consider that at some point in the future..

Again, I LOVE the colour of the car.. She's a stunner..

Mike
Thanks, Mike! Specifically which kits and brands are you using for the charge pipes? Looking at other threads I saw the Evolution kit with front mount, but at $1400 for everything, im not sure id see the gains with the occasional on ramp blast I do to justify the cost. Which intakes are the "better" ones to use? ESS does tune for E85, but id only be running 20% so the fuel trims would be able to correct for the difference without tossing a code... I just use enough to get a 94ish mix, but will likely supplement/replace with methanol depending how this car does in the summer. Downpipe will be lower on the list since the single track in the area sucks, and due to prior vehicles ive owned, I wouldn't have fun with this car doing half mile stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
You're off to a great start already with the EB, M Sport, 442M, and black kidney grilles!

If you're getting tuned, I would definitely go ahead and get the CP and FMIC now before they dyno tune. VRSF would be a good value brand for both (get the 5" HD FMIC). DP would be the next mod for additional power, but you said you weren't interested. No significant gains to be had with a catback or intake.

As far as spoiler goes - I just received a painted M4 style spoiler from ikonmotorsports on eBay and I'm really happy with the fit, finish, paint match, and style. I think CF or Jet Black would look good on the EB, or you could ask them if they can custom paint one in EB.

I'd also recommend getting iND painted front reflectors.

Appreciate 1
cjack29.50
      03-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

Based on what you are planning on doing, I suggest you look at a Fabspeed or a Wagner catted downpipe. Stock downpipe will be a major restriction and upgrading that will result in a significant power gain. Also they will be quieter than a standard catless downpipe so you don't have to worry about the noise pollution.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

I got the same car! :)

I went with the M4 rear spoiler (ABS, painted to match the car, photo'd), M4 rear diffuser (Polypro) and M4 style front lip (polypro). Wing and front are from ikon motorsports (ebay and amazon). Look-up Bayson R (ebay) for the rear diffuser.

Good quality stuff! try to avoid carbon fiber. I know it's trendy but for the front lip spoiler... one curb will ruin it. The polypro can take a few curb and parking block hits.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      03-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post

I went with the M4 rear spoiler (painted to match the car) and M4 style front lip. Both are from ikon motorsports (ebay and amazon). Good quality stuff!
Do you have a pic of the front?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #10
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by percychow View Post

I went with the M4 rear spoiler (ABS, painted to match the car, photo'd), M4 rear diffuser (Polypro) and M4 style front lip (polypro). Wing and front are from ikon motorsports (ebay and amazon). Look-up Bayson R (ebay) for the rear diffuser.

Good quality stuff! try to avoid carbon fiber. I know it's trendy but for the front lip spoiler... one curb will ruin it. The polypro can take a few curb and parking block hits.
I just dropped my car off at BMW for that spoiler yesterday, although im just doing the OE BMW one and having them paint it to match
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixMike View Post
Feels good to be back in a BMW again! I picked up a pre owned 2015 435i M sport and while I love the car, it needs a little tweaking. Im going to have ESS Tuning to a dyno tune in a couple weeks, but prior to the tune, ive noticed quite a few on here doing charge pipes, larger intercoolers etc.

I was going to do an intercooler for sure, just don't know which one is "preferred", and the same with the charge pipes,

FMIC Wagner Comp 2
or cheaper go CTS FMIC
      03-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #12
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Feels good to be back in a BMW again! I picked up a pre owned 2015 435i M sport and while I love the car, it needs a little tweaking. Im going to have ESS Tuning to a dyno tune in a couple weeks, but prior to the tune, ive noticed quite a few on here doing charge pipes, larger intercoolers etc. I don't plan on doing a downpipe any time soon, and unless someone can show some substantial gains with a cat back exhaust, I very much enjoy the quiet ride and only hearing the engine when I get on it. Reading on here, it also seems the intakes are hit and miss with what they add, if anything, and seem to cause more problems than good.

What are the "quick" mods I should look into (brand as well, I didn't do a ton to my 550i or 535i beyond tune and exhaust I built, so still new to the BMW world in that sense) that work well with the tune and wont cause check engine lights, drivability issues, or reduce the reliability of the car. We have hot summers here, so I was going to do an intercooler for sure, just don't know which one is "preferred", and the same with the charge pipes, if necessary, and intake. I can handle all the labor and have access to anything I need, but my domestic background only knows domestic product manufacturers, none of which seem to make BMW parts. I had considered methanol as ive run that on my boosted vehicles before, but we also have E85 at the pump and have seen success in 20-30% mix which will help with charge temps and octane. If the charge pipe is setup for a nozzle, even better in case I decide to do a kit later.

Vendors please feel free to PM or post what you recommend and pricing as well... hopefully with inventory in stock so I can have them done before it goes on the dyno.

Glad to be back as part of the community!

And yes, I need a spoiler on the back too... still researching those and a possible front lip spoiler... trying not to go too crazy on this car, but I would like to add a few things!

Limited Slip Differential....

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

I also have the "same car"

I went the ER (Evolution Racewerks) route...see my Signature below for list of mods...

My Build Thread can be found HERE

Last edited by ronanz; 03-25-2018 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Ive been talking with Mike at Extreme Powerhouse the past couple days, I think im going to do a Vargas Stage 1 turbo, Wagner intercooler and DP, VR charge pipes and have ESS do the stage 2 dyno tune. Seeing as how it wont ever likely see a track (possibly some 1/2 mile stuff if I decide its worth $200 to be embarrassed by $100,000+ cars) and I just want it to be fun around town, that sounds like my best bet.

I cant seem to find any real answers on if the Dinan or AFE intakes are worth while, or if I should just do a drop in filter, and IF I do a cat back, im pretty dead set on the Akrapovic system for the sound. Sounds like the $600 for an intake is better put towards something else though, and we will see how it sounds with the factory exhaust before I drop $3000 on a Akra.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #15
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Ive been talking with Mike at Extreme Powerhouse the past couple days, I think im going to do a Vargas Stage 1 turbo, Wagner intercooler and DP, VR charge pipes and have ESS do the stage 2 dyno tune. Seeing as how it wont ever likely see a track (possibly some 1/2 mile stuff if I decide its worth $200 to be embarrassed by $100,000+ cars) and I just want it to be fun around town, that sounds like my best bet.

I cant seem to find any real answers on if the Dinan or AFE intakes are worth while, or if I should just do a drop in filter, and IF I do a cat back, im pretty dead set on the Akrapovic system for the sound. Sounds like the $600 for an intake is better put towards something else though, and we will see how it sounds with the factory exhaust before I drop $3000 on a Akra.
Stock exh is very good just change the DP. Stock intake is very good just do a drop in filter. Wagner Comp 2 FMIC,tune and your good to go. All setup for whatever big turbo you go with then retune. Want more get an "M".
      03-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #16
28nomad
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 355i

Other than the turbo were thinking similar paths. I’m in Phoenix as well and have heard allot of mixed reviews on ess. I’d love to hear how it turns out. Until that point I’m just doing fbo just a drop in filter. Anyway looking forward to how it turns out!
      03-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #17
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28nomad View Post
Other than the turbo were thinking similar paths. I’m in Phoenix as well and have heard allot of mixed reviews on ess. I’d love to hear how it turns out. Until that point I’m just doing fbo just a drop in filter. Anyway looking forward to how it turns out!
Ive been doing business with him for a few years now and had him take care of my 2011 550i and 535i. As a tuner myself with about 20 years of experience (domestic side), and talking with AJ on a lot of things, I wouldn't let anyone else touch my vehicles besides him, if I couldn't do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #18
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Why Vargas instead of Pure Turbos?

Quote:

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #19
FenixMike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Why Vargas instead of Pure Turbos?
Its what was recommended to me, and I cant find any reason to do otherwise. They both seem to have tremendous following and very little bad media, so specifically I chose it because I was told to get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Do you have a pic of the front?
Hey Dr. Yes, sorry this took me a couple of days. The front one is about a 3-4 hour install. It's mostly trying to figure out where the mounting points will be. Good news, mostly all the mounting points are already on the OEM front end, you just need to drill TWO holes for the center mount with this style. Bad news, you WILL want to use a nut/bolt/washer combo because self tapping screws WILL NOT hold up. The front spoiler will get a lot of knocks from road debris, driveways, etc.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
3-4 hours?! Looks like it should take no longer than 30 mins. Did it require a lot of fudging to get it to fit right?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats OP and thank you for your support

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
FenixMike450.00