F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ER charge pipe separation
proTUNING Freaks

01-22-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Xdrive MSport

ER charge pipe separation

Hey everyone,

Here's a picture of how the ER CP disengaged. Really weird, I think the clamp may have not been tightened enough during the initial mount but I had no issues for a month or two.
This happened today on the highway, was on 5th gear not flooring the car or anything.

Running Stage 2 BM3 and really happy with the performance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very unusual - haven't see this one before with ER charge pipe.

Did you retighten the clamp or had to take the car to the shop for a more detailed inspection?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

it looks like it was not installed correctly, ask the shop to re-install and make sure the clamps are tightened

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

+1 for clamps not being tight enough. I would also:

Confirm the nylon in the nuts on the clamps is still in tact (this prevents them from backing off with vibration)

Confirm the IC is still fully bolted into place and didnt start to droop/fall and pull the CP apart.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #5
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
+1 for clamps not being tight enough. I would also:

Confirm the nylon in the nuts on the clamps is still in tact (this prevents them from backing off with vibration)

Confirm the IC is still fully bolted into place and didnt start to droop/fall and pull the CP apart.
Yeah we checked the IC and everything was good, the guys tightened everything back again but used a narrower clamp. They said because of the wide original clamp and the thick hose it is very hard to get a tight seal. They got a narrower clamp installed and will see how that goes. Allegedly the narrower one claps down the hose into the metal part divid better.

On a side note, busted cylinder 1 coil doing a test drive right after the install. Floored it really hard and I shouldn't have. Probably need to change the coils and the plugs. The plugs were changed at 43k, 20k miles ago. Any advice on coils and plugs?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hristo.p View Post
Yeah we checked the IC and everything was good, the guys tightened everything back again but used a narrower clamp. They said because of the wide original clamp and the thick hose it is very hard to get a tight seal. They got a narrower clamp installed and will see how that goes. Allegedly the narrower one claps down the hose into the metal part divid better.

On a side note, busted cylinder 1 coil doing a test drive right after the install. Floored it really hard and I shouldn't have. Probably need to change the coils and the plugs. The plugs were changed at 43k, 20k miles ago. Any advice on coils and plugs?
Wait what - you are saying your coil broke from going WOT? "Flooring it really hard" should not break a coil lol. Did it physically break or just stopped working? That seems strange...

For plugs, i would read through the thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709198

I always say OEM plugs OEM gap unless you have an issue with those then go to colder NGKs / smaller gap. Seems to work well for the vast majority of people, and going to the NGKs / smaller gap when you dont need them may just introduce issues.

I am on OEM coils so i have less experience with those.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #7
hristo.p
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hristo.p View Post

Wait what - you are saying your coil broke from going WOT? "Flooring it really hard" should not break a coil lol. Did it physically break or just stopped working? That seems strange...

For plugs, i would read through the thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1709198

I always say OEM plugs OEM gap unless you have an issue with those then go to colder NGKs / smaller gap. Seems to work well for the vast majority of people, and going to the NGKs / smaller gap when you dont need them may just introduce issues.

I am on OEM coils so i have less experience with those.
It stopped working and had to be replaced and codes cleared.

Thanks for the recs, appreciate it!
Appreciate 0