F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 XHP flash
Studio RSR

08-06-2020, 05:44 PM   #375
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
How did you know I was going to ask you this?

So I was planning to flash it after work and drive home (38 mile commute) that starts off at normal traffic conditions (going about 80mph) till I get closer to Temecula, then it's bumper to bumper.

This should be fine yea? I don't see this causing any issues.
Yeah, totally fine. There is no set adaptation procedure per all the XHP documentation i have read. Its more of a "give it some time under varying conditions" recommendation. Do give eco mode a go on the highway as i recall XHP specifically mentioning coasting.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #376
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah, totally fine. There is no set adaptation procedure per all the XHP documentation i have read. Its more of a "give it some time under varying conditions" recommendation. Do give eco mode a go on the highway as i recall XHP specifically mentioning coasting.
Ok sweet. I'll read the manual before I start heading home to make sure I got everything.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #377
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok sweet. I'll read the manual before I start heading home to make sure I got everything.
FYI you are supposed to have a battery charger for the initial install just like MHD/BM3... might be able to get away without it if you have the WiFi adapter as it is quite fast but YMMV, especially if battery is old.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #378
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Flashed the car last night and commuted home but was not able to to test it out.

Besides flashing it to stage 3, do I need to make any other changes?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #379
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Flashed the car last night and commuted home but was not able to to test it out.

Besides flashing it to stage 3, do I need to make any other changes?
You mean changes in the flash options? Only other things i did was the gear display in D mode and custom shiftpoints; lowered them to 6100 from 6900 in all gears for D and S modes, without kickdown depressed. I thought i mentioned that here, might be in MHD thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #380
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Quote:
You mean changes in the flash options? Only other things i did was the gear display in D mode and custom shiftpoints; lowered them to 6100 from 6900 in all gears for D and S modes, without kickdown depressed. I thought i mentioned that here, might be in MHD thread.
I thought I saw that as well and I tried looking for that but couldn't find what you had set it to. Will mess with it a little bit after work and drive home.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #381
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you like using manual mode a lot, consider changing the downshift blip to be softer (-%) because it can be harsh on stage 3. That's why I stuck with stage 2, personally.
Interior: Bavsound stage 1 and subs - custom trunk sub by Mike1327
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #382
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
How are those shift points treating you? I have been considering lowering mine since most dynosheets are showing that power starts to taper off right around there.
      08-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #383
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
How are those shift points treating you? I have been considering lowering mine since most dynosheets are showing that power starts to taper off right around there.
I love them and have no plans to go back. I disliked revving to 6900 and it honestly made me use auto even less. Now if im just ripping around town or something i sometimes leave it in S/Sport+ and with the 6100 shift points the car feels fast without uncessarily stressing the motor. And i agree, the power curve suggests it should be faster this way, part of my motivation aside from the wear and tear aspect.

I tried 6300 first and went down to 6100 after. Note, one gear has 5900 as default and i did not raise that one.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #384
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
good stuff, thanks! I'll have to give it a shot.
      08-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #385
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
6100 for me too
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #386
fscuderia23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i EBII + PPK/MPE

just flashed OTS stage 3 on my car and wanted to share my impressions.
I've done about 200 miles and loved absolutely every mile so far (even the first 50 break in miles ). My car is stock aside from M performance upgrades (MPE/MPPK/MLSD) but even then the car was noticeably lighter on its feet after the flash; overall it seemed much happier to downshift in all modes. In comfort, the shifts are smooth and the torque drop on the stock map between upshifts that always bothered me seems to have been minimized/disappeared all together. I did experience the delay in shifts in manual mode that many have reported, but I personally don't mind this too much as this delay all but disappears in the more aggressive settings. In Sport+ the shifts are lightning fast, I've never heard the exhaust "fart" on upshifts below 3000rpm stock, but it now almost seems to always fart in this mode. In the most aggressive setting, the shifts (up & down) do seem to jolt the car a little more than before, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable, nor does it feel like anything the gearbox cant handle.

One question I do have is that the transmission seems to default to the most aggressive setting when DSC is turned off. I was under the impression that DSC off would leave the transmission setting in the previous state? Did I miss something? Also if anyone has any recommendations on adjustments I could make on top of the stage 3's default settings I definitely would be happy to hear about it!

In conclusion, the xhp flash is definitely worth the money, it really wakes the car up!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 06:28 AM   #387
bdragon46
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscuderia23 View Post
One question I do have is that the transmission seems to default to the most aggressive setting when DSC is turned off. I was under the impression that DSC off would leave the transmission setting in the previous state? Did I miss something? Also if anyone has any recommendations on adjustments I could make on top of the stage 3's default settings I definitely would be happy to hear about it!

In conclusion, the xhp flash is definitely worth the money, it really wakes the car up!
I believe it puts the car in sport when turning dsc completely off compared to doing so when stock would put you in comfort. I would recommend adjusting the shift points and max rpm to your driving style. I configure the settings in sport mode to how I would drive in manual mode so I can just leave it in sport+ most of the time. My car is a pwg so I set mine to shift at 5800 rpm when in sport mode so to stay within the power band for example.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #388
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdragon46 View Post
I believe it puts the car in sport when turning dsc completely off compared to doing so when stock would put you in comfort. I would recommend adjusting the shift points and max rpm to your driving style. I configure the settings in sport mode to how I would drive in manual mode so I can just leave it in sport+ most of the time. My car is a pwg so I set mine to shift at 5800 rpm when in sport mode so to stay within the power band for example.
DSC off is it's own standalone mode and doesn't carry anything over from whatever mode you were in. It's basically identical to sport+ but with linear throttle setting. You can see this on the drive mode chart
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #389
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
DSC off is it's own standalone mode and doesn't carry anything over from whatever mode you were in. It's basically identical to sport+ but with linear throttle setting. You can see this on the drive mode chart
I attached the drive mode chart below. DSC fully off essentially retains Sport/sport+ suspension and chasis settings but desensitizes throttle and changes shift setting back similar to comfort, but kickdown is still disabled and RPM is held at redline. So it's really a blend of comfort and sport/+.

Having said that i was almost 100% sure i read that one of the tunes (MHD, XHP, or BM3) made it so that DSC off could retain the last setting in terms of sport/sport+ mapping, but i can't for the life of me find that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscuderia23 View Post
just flashed OTS stage 3 on my car and wanted to share my impressions.
I've done about 200 miles and loved absolutely every mile so far (even the first 50 break in miles ). My car is stock aside from M performance upgrades (MPE/MPPK/MLSD) but even then the car was noticeably lighter on its feet after the flash; overall it seemed much happier to downshift in all modes. In comfort, the shifts are smooth and the torque drop on the stock map between upshifts that always bothered me seems to have been minimized/disappeared all together. I did experience the delay in shifts in manual mode that many have reported, but I personally don't mind this too much as this delay all but disappears in the more aggressive settings. In Sport+ the shifts are lightning fast, I've never heard the exhaust "fart" on upshifts below 3000rpm stock, but it now almost seems to always fart in this mode. In the most aggressive setting, the shifts (up & down) do seem to jolt the car a little more than before, but I wouldn't call it uncomfortable, nor does it feel like anything the gearbox cant handle.

As noted above and shown in the chart, DSC off changes settings relative to sport/+; it does not retain the last mode selected. Throttle mapping is the main thing that people notice immediately, because the comfort map is almost 1:1 linear with pedal input but sport/sport+ command 100% throttle at only 41% pedal input (also attached those charts below).

In terms of other adjustments, i would give the XHP manual a good read to become familar with all the options. Then enable gear display in D mode, and lower your shiftpoints in D and S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdragon46 View Post
See response above regarding first point. But i agree lowering shift points is nice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DVC558.00
      08-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #390
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep

Almost a week on it and I can feel the difference. The shifts are much more firm in Sport/Sport+, not too sure if it's faster (in terms of shifting speed).

I have yet to play with the settings but will sometime tonight or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #391
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I attached the drive mode chart below. DSC fully off essentially retains Sport/sport+ suspension and chasis settings but desensitizes throttle and changes shift setting back similar to comfort, but kickdown is still disabled and RPM is held at redline. So it's really a blend of comfort and sport/+.

As noted above and shown in the chart, DSC off changes settings relative to sport/+; it does not retain the last mode selected. Throttle mapping is the main thing that people notice immediately, because the comfort map is almost 1:1 linear with pedal input but sport/sport+ command 100% throttle at only 41% pedal input (also attached those charts below).
Good to see my old Excel chart is still of use!
      08-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #392
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Go straight to stage 3, drive about 15-20 miles of city driving in D/Comfort mode, then get on the highway and do another 15ish miles in D/comfort and D/eco (eco helps with coasting and shift to neutral), then go back to city driving and do some medium throttle in D/Sport for maybe 5 miles, then let it rip with S/Sport + and you wont be disappointed
Thanks for sharing this...I followed it to a T when I flashed to stage 4 last week, and everything works perfectly. My car is mostly just a track bar at this point, so I always paddle shift, but the way stage 4 holds gears in Sport+/Sport is pretty cool... good enough to drive on track I think (I meant to give it a try and compare lap times, but forgot).
      08-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #393
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Thanks for sharing this...I followed it to a T when I flashed to stage 4 last week, and everything works perfectly. My car is mostly just a track bar at this point, so I always paddle shift, but the way stage 4 holds gears in Sport+/Sport is pretty cool... good enough to drive on track I think (I meant to give it a try and compare lap times, but forgot).
Nice, glad it worked for you. I am temped to mess around with stage 4 sometime but I havent autocrossed in a while and whenever i am driving canyons or something i am basically 100% in manual as well.

When you run stage 4 do you set custom shift points as well? I imagine for a track situation it would still be beneficial to lower them to say, 6100, to not only stay more in powerband but generate less heat up near redline for a long session.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #394
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nice, glad it worked for you. I am temped to mess around with stage 4 sometime but I havent autocrossed in a while and whenever i am driving canyons or something i am basically 100% in manual as well.

When you run stage 4 do you set custom shift points as well? I imagine for a track situation it would still be beneficial to lower them to say, 6100, to not only stay more in powerband but generate less heat up near redline for a long session.
I thought about lowering the shift points as recommended in this thread, but I figured I'd evaluate a bit first. Although I really don't use the car much in Auto mode, so I may not get around to it for a while...

By the way, if reflashing just for a tweak such as lowering the shift points, what kind of break-in procedure (if any) is required?
      08-19-2020, 11:15 AM   #395
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I thought about lowering the shift points as recommended in this thread, but I figured I'd evaluate a bit first. Although I really don't use the car much in Auto mode, so I may not get around to it for a while...

By the way, if reflashing just for a tweak such as lowering the shift points, what kind of break-in procedure (if any) is required?
You don't need any adaptation procedure when changing options within a given stage. It's only if you change line pressure or a stage you should do the adaptation driving.
Appreciate 3
Conr4d27.50
DVC558.00
MAKH 588.50
      08-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #396
nickf30n55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:

I run stage 4 as a daily but in regular mode not in m/s the sift points in m/s are set up perfectly for me to do 20/40/60 rolls I visit "Mexico" once a month or so other than that I coast around in comfort am I risking any damage to my trans? (I did a full flush 3k miles ago)
Appreciate 0