F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 stage 1 flash Fried F30 DME n20
Extreme Powerhouse

09-29-2022, 09:13 AM   #23
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Take it back and show them their issues. If you have photo evidence before you took the car in use that to support your claim and use a Jody shop you trust for them to foot the bill. If not, you take it up with bmw corporate
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 04:10 PM   #24
Vestedloki
Rep
Drives: 2017 Bmw 330I X-Drive

Did you take it back to the dealer and show them the damage to your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:40 PM   #25
HRMendez
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi

Definitely not an experience you would expect from BMW. I would take it back like others have said and point out the issues. I'm sure the dealer would do something to mitigate what happened once they hear your willing to notify BMW corporate of your experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 11:53 AM   #26
Juiiceee
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaux View Post
Update:

Just got the car back 3 days ago.

After waiting almost 9 months I have finally got the car back.

My tint is all peeled off in the back from being in the sun for so long, the door handles are melting and sticky now, My door handles on the driver and passenger side have so many scratches (It definitely did not look like this before it was at the dealer), The paint has some deep scratches on the back drivers side of the car, and why are my exhaust tips sagging now...

At least I got the car back.

I’m having the same problem you did with my f30. Just curious if waiting for the dme was the fix or not. I’m sick of hearing different stories from the dealer just wanna know what’s the best way to get this fixed. Luckily, I think, my car started up and ran just misfiring with the drive train malfunction. Not even sure if bm3 can even help with my car rotting in the dealer lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:13 AM   #27
Phaux
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320iXdrive F30 2014 N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiiceee View Post
I’m having the same problem you did with my f30. Just curious if waiting for the dme was the fix or not. I’m sick of hearing different stories from the dealer just wanna know what’s the best way to get this fixed. Luckily, I think, my car started up and ran just misfiring with the drive train malfunction. Not even sure if bm3 can even help with my car rotting in the dealer lot.
The DME was indeed the fix in my case.

I waited out the 9 months and got the car back. I know it sucks but your just gonna have to sit and be patient. With the current supply chain issues it makes it even worse.
If they provide a rental car free of cost, then dont expect them to make up for the car rotting in the lot. They paid for my rental for 9 months and refused to fix the cosmetic issues the car was having from sitting and rotting in the sun. Corporate also took the dealers side in my case so I was royally #$*$%#! from the beginning of accepting the covered rental.

I went to bm3 first initially and they were not able to help with the issue even though my car was reverted back to the stock tune.

I ended up selling off my f30 and had a blast with the car. Nothing bad to say (besides BMW's customer service) as I did my research and knew the consequences of my actions.

If anyone is interested in a stock f30 320i full exhaust, stock 320i intake, or a brand new unused N20 (for the 320i and 328i) high flow catted downpipe from turner motorsports let me know. I will probably be putting it up for sale (Local pickup unless buyer is willing to pay the shipping cost).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #28
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I have a buddy who had a DME fry because water got to it. I myself replaced my DME because I needed to in order to tune it cus my car is 06/2020+. I pulled the DME and FEM out and had it all recoded and replaced within the same day. Not difficult.

Dealer up to something....

If the tune bricks an ECU it will happen during flashing, Not a day later. This is why bm3 recommends flashing the same tune twice in a row. Did you do any troubleshooting on your own or just immediately take it to BMW? You said you flashed it back to stock??? Thats not a bricked ECU my friend. Far from it

YOUR DME IS NOT FRIED. NEVER WAS.
      12-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #29
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_MEDUSA View Post
I have a buddy who had a DME fry because water got to it. I myself replaced my DME because I needed to in order to tune it cus my car is 06/2020+. I pulled the DME and FEM out and had it all recoded and replaced within the same day. Not difficult.

Dealer up to something....

If the tune bricks an ECU it will happen during flashing, Not a day later. This is why bm3 recommends flashing the same tune twice in a row. Did you do any troubleshooting on your own or just immediately take it to BMW? You said you flashed it back to stock??? Thats not a bricked ECU my friend. Far from it

YOUR DME IS NOT FRIED. NEVER WAS.
You also can't brick nor fry the DME with BM3, their tune is cloud based, if something interrupts it, you just reflash and it'll do the whole thing over again.
      03-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #30
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lens View Post
You also can't brick nor fry the DME with BM3, their tune is cloud based, if something interrupts it, you just reflash and it'll do the whole thing over again.
Just randomly seeing this while researching another issue- but I will say just because they have your tune/map/firmware in the cloud does mean your DME is shielded from being bricked or fried. Something as simple as accidentally bridging pin contacts could result in an internal short circuit or something similar. Hell, even too much static electricity could probably cause weird things to happen. Interrupting a flash is extremely dangerous too. You should always exercise extreme caution when flashing ECUs.
Appreciate 0