F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Air volume too high codes
GetBMWParts

01-23-2023, 02:11 AM   #1
gigidabrunda
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Question Air volume too high codes

Hey guys, I am getting 102001 and 102A22 (Air volume too high) codes after few pulls in Sport+

Car is BMW 228 FBO Stage 2 98RON tuned + aftermarket aFe Power Intake.
Bolt ons:
CP
TIC
FMIC
GFB DV+

Already fixed all leaks we've detected before logging.

Here is the datalog from the last pull which caused 102A22 code to came on: https://datazap.me/u/gigidabrunda/fi...15-19-21-47-48

few pages back someone wrote that code cames up when:
Quote:
"The fault is detected when the air mass flow is greater than the limit value: ~1025 kg/h." So yes, you will always get this error unless it is not disabled. Very strange that MHD did not disable it yet.
so when I checked maf req. wdgc on peak graph it was 285.88 g/s which is 1030 kg/h - maybe this is the reason of code?

any input is much appreciated because after code cames up cold starts are rough and car is not as fast as before

This also happened on stock airbox and K&N filter.

Last edited by gigidabrunda; 01-23-2023 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

Sounds like you need to clean + reset/chnage your MAF.

The stock turbo cannot max out the stock MAF readings and make that power. Thus something isn’t right.
IG + YT: Sqwin_n20
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 12:45 AM   #3
gigidabrunda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
Sounds like you need to clean + reset/chnage your MAF.

The stock turbo cannot max out the stock MAF readings and make that power. Thus something isn’t right.
I have already did adaptation reset but with no luck.
MAF is working perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #4
RMMAGA
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i

it could be reaching those air flow values, especially with a 20 deg C IAT is on the cold side.

I checked my B48 logs and I can hit ~1200 kg/h at 28 psi @ 6000rpm, if your at 20 psi that is ~20% lower pressure or about 1000 kh/h, so it seems about right based on your RPM, boost, and IAT?

You may need a custom tune for it, or ask them for an update without this limit, seems low to me

however if your cold starts are bumpy that is also a sign of a MAF reading that are off, you could try to put the stock intake back on and if it goes away it is a poorly designed intake that is not maintain the same flow characteristics across the sensor as the stock one....

FYI I have a nice full carbon intake form ARMA, and I did need to tune my fuel tables a fair bit to get neutral trims at lower loads, so even my ARMA carbon intake with very nice smooth pipes is not the same as stock, but this was a total PITA to do the tune so it not really possible for most people I think to spend weeks refining and datalogging to zero out the fuel tables unless you have your own dyno

Also FYI I think the ECU uses speed density at high load and RPM not MAF to judge fuel and load, so likely it has nothing to do with the MAF, or your MAF issue at start up is a separate issue form the code is my guess, however both issues could be caused by the intake, as the intake will allow for more airflow and more boost at higher RPM then the stock one

Last edited by RMMAGA; 01-29-2023 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 07:20 AM   #5
gigidabrunda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMMAGA View Post
it could be reaching those air flow values, especially with a 20 deg C IAT is on the cold side.

I checked my B48 logs and I can hit ~1200 kg/h at 28 psi @ 6000rpm, if your at 20 psi that is ~20% lower pressure or about 1000 kh/h, so it seems about right based on your RPM, boost, and IAT?

You may need a custom tune for it, or ask them for an update without this limit, seems low to me

however if your cold starts are bumpy that is also a sign of a MAF reading that are off, you could try to put the stock intake back on and if it goes away it is a poorly designed intake that is not maintain the same flow characteristics across the sensor as the stock one....

FYI I have a nice full carbon intake form ARMA, and I did need to tune my fuel tables a fair bit to get neutral trims at lower loads, so even my ARMA carbon intake with very nice smooth pipes is not the same as stock, but this was a total PITA to do the tune so it not really possible for most people I think to spend weeks refining and datalogging to zero out the fuel tables unless you have your own dyno

Also FYI I think the ECU uses speed density at high load and RPM not MAF to judge fuel and load, so likely it has nothing to do with the MAF, or your MAF issue at start up is a separate issue form the code is my guess, however both issues could be caused by the intake, as the intake will allow for more airflow and more boost at higher RPM then the stock one
Thank you for your detailed answer,
What exactly should I ask to my local tuner to do with my tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #6
RMMAGA
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i

show them the code and ask them to remove the air flow limit in the tune, also show them the log that shows you are reaching 1030kh/h before the code triggers

for bumpy idle they may be able to adjust the idle fueling to improve it as well, but they may need to do more analysis or logging to work out if they need to add more or less fuel
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 12:43 PM   #7
gigidabrunda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMMAGA View Post
show them the code and ask them to remove the air flow limit in the tune, also show them the log that shows you are reaching 1030kh/h before the code triggers

for bumpy idle they may be able to adjust the idle fueling to improve it as well, but they may need to do more analysis or logging to work out if they need to add more or less fuel
They asked me how should they remove the air flow limit, can you give some advice?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #8
gigidabrunda
Rep

https://datazap.me/u/gigidabrunda/bbn-stg-2?log=0&data=3-18
Appreciate 0