F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New personal worst car part failure
ARMA SPEED

01-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #23
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Never have I used any type of thread sealant on a caliper mounting bolt.

But, this is my first BMW.

Glad your OK crypto. That could have ended A LOT worse.
Most people seem not to use sealant, but BMW DOES so that's the way I'm doing it from now on.

And yeah, I'm very lucky it happened while i was stopped in a line approaching a stop sign, was pretty embarrassing to get basically get in an accident with myself at 0 mph at a stop sign on a relatively crowded intersection.
Was lucky the guy right behind me in line was a cop and just directed traffic around me, while dd1981 came to save the day along with my local indy shop's tow truck took about 15 mins max for the tow, I've never waited less than like 2 hours.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #24
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
Never have I used any type of thread sealant on a caliper mounting bolt.

But, this is my first BMW.

Glad your OK crypto. That could have ended A LOT worse.
Most people seem not to use sealant, but BMW DOES so that's the way I'm doing it from now on.

And yeah, I'm very lucky it happened while i was stopped in a line approaching a stop sign, was pretty embarrassing to get basically get in an accident with myself at 0 mph at a stop sign on a relatively crowded intersection.
Was lucky the guy right behind me in line was a cop and just directed traffic around me, while dd1981 came to save the day along with my local indy shop's tow truck took about 15 mins max for the tow, I've never waited less than like 2 hours.
Just glad you guys were ok, and secondly no major damage. Look at it this way, you may say fuk my luck lately but I'd say you're quite lucky that it happened at a low mph and a intersection. Imagine you testing your Pure 2 at 25psi doing a 100mph blast and that happened, the outcome would have been very bad, becase that's pretty much what we got together to do that day.

Glad I was in your neck of the woods to help.
      01-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #25
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Just glad you guys were ok, and secondly no major damage. Look at it this way, you may say fuk my luck lately but I'd say you're quite lucky that it happened at a low mph and a intersection. Imagine you testing your Pure 2 at 25psi doing a 100mph blast and that happened, the outcome would have been very bad, becase that's pretty much what we got together to do that day.

You're the man!!

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #26
MSportTune2
First Lieutenant
Aland Islands
Rep
Drives: F30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Yes but Also the lack of thread sealant played a part as well.
As did rims that were way to small for my car, never letting people suggest and buy products for my car anymore.
Several lessons learned.
I saw your rims and thought your rims are too small. Was about to ask you why,....thanks for sharing. I have been changing to BKK for most of my rides and did not have to apply any bolt sealant. Anyway, I always make sure they torque by hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post

You're the man!!

I didn't do much lol just provided transportation.
      02-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #28
kzflags
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Didnt ya know that some mounted bolts are only allowed to use for once because the torque forces are ruins the internal stability?
Anyway, although damage to the car, be lucky that is was only happened as shown and no other ones were harmed.
what is considered a mounted bolt. ive taken my wheels on and off at least 4x this summer and torqued the same set of bolts.

how can you tell if something like this is susceptible to happening?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #29
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post
what is considered a mounted bolt. ive taken my wheels on and off at least 4x this summer and torqued the same set of bolts.

I have never head of a tire shop changing the bolts every time they switch a tire. Can you imagine the cost??? He must be talking about something else.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I know it was a brake issue first but for the hardest months on a car...the winter, I would not be running the cheapest wheels on the market :
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #31
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
I know it was a brake issue first but for the hardest months on a car...the winter, I would not be running the cheapest wheels on the market :
In also not going to let other people buy things for my car. Local shop didn't even search for 335 on Tirerack since they don't even sell 17" rims for the 335. New 19"s with blizzaks arrive today along with new brakes.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #32
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzflags View Post

A mounted bolt couldnt be specified outta the tree as "change immediately" or "keep as long as its break".

Bolts for wheels could used as long as you obey the maximum allowed torque value and do not overshot it. If so, after the next loosen the bolts are crap.
All bolts on special places like brakes and calippers, hot engine section, camshaft at drive train and steering support should be changed after removal because your safety should be worth this.
You would this read maybe into mfrs manuals or other documentation, maybe you were onto a college for applied mechanics and science and see what some different forces may do with overstressed or nearly not strong enough ones, that'll teach you for live.
All others must learn like the thread founder onto the hard way.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0