F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Studio RSR

08-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #155
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
For raichean....

Since you have been working pretty close with Avin on this, did they give you any insight on what is coming on the horizon for this product? I think the comments about "waiting" for this product are spot on as there will always be new products in development. However, it is good to know what is on the horizon so an informed decision can be made about buying now or later. The items I am most interested in are..

1. Android OS
2. Compatibility w/NBT Evo

Item #1 is not a big deal for me since Android 4.4 runs all of the apps I am interested in using with this device right now. But considering the latest apps with new ideas/functionality are typically designed around the later OS's, from a future-proof standpoint it would be nice if this product used a newer operating system. The JB4 is just one app that is an example, but I am sure there are others.

Item #2 is the one I am more interested in. I did some research on this with the help of a few other forum members & the internet. NBT Evo systems require a monitor that takes 12v, CIC/NBT systems require a monitor that takes 9v. This Avin unit is a 9v unit so to use it with a NBT Evo system you need a modified video cable (which also provides power to the monitor) with a 12v to 9v converter installed in the cable. The good news is, modifying a NBT Evo cable is not that hard or expensive - you can find cables and 12v to 9v converters easily on eBay. But it is still not a true PnP solution for NBT Evo units (which showed up in 2016 and is what is currently sold by BMW).

But the capability of the NBT Evo units that I am more interested in is the APIX protocol it uses. Automotive Pixel Link or APIX is a communications video protocol used in vehicle infotainment systems - providing all of the functionality you see and more. CIC/NBT use APIX 1, NBT Evo uses APIX 2. APIX 2 can support over 2x the bandwidth of APIX 1 and higher screen resolutions. So what does all this mean? APIX 2 can support more "stuff" and functionality than APIX 1 units.

Exactly how much more "stuff" is on the horizon, I don't know. But it would not surprise me if APIX 2 would allow for full touchscreen use for both the Android functions and OEM functions, among other additional functionality....

Admittedly, if I had a CIC/NBT system in my car, this Avin unit would be almost automatic for me. But since I have a NBT Evo system, I hate to potentially leave future capability on the table, even though the current Avin unit is still very capable and appears to be able to do what I want. So, I guess back to my original question, any insight on what is on the horizon?
So awesome questions all the way around and I can only touch on some of that honestly. I have been talking with Tommy a lot about other models as well, and know the is the Avin-3 on the horizon, E46, E53, and other models but can't speak to specifics other than I know he wants to get ahead of the technology curve. I wish I had lots of specifics (that I couldn't share because they are super secret squirrel stuff, but cool to know ahead of time) but other than I know he is aggressively working on the Avin-3 models, and some generics that's all I know right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #156
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Love the CarPlay adapter!! Looking forward to the next video featuring CarPlay, as well as hopefully AirPlay.

What's the Avin-3...?

Last edited by dr.roro; 08-12-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #157
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Love the CarPlay adapter!! Looking forward to the next video featuring CarPlay, as well as hopefully AirPlay.

What's the Avin-3...?
As soon as I have the equiptment on hand to demo the iPhone functions, I will post up a new video.

The Avin-3 (assuming that is the name when it goes production) is the next generation deck they are developing, for the E46, E53 and others. I have worked with the Avin-2 extensively, now a couple of years old, and am talking with Tommy a lot about the new one coming out maybe 3rd or 4th quarter. Don't quote me though, that is my guess on timing.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #158
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
raichean,

You have done a great job supporting the development of this product, especially for the F3X/F8X crowd. Based on what you said I think I will wait for the Avin-3 (or whatever it will be called) so that I can take advantage of the APIX 2 capabilities of my NBT Evo unit. BMW is supposedly releasing an Android retrofit touchscreen unit this month that is fully is fully compatible with NBT and NBT Evo units - which can be installed by the dealer. One feature advertised is full touchscreen capability for both the OEM functions and the Android functions. That should mean the aftermarket alternative (i.e. Avin 3 and others) should be right around the corner.

Too bad you don't have a NBT Evo unit to fully test it when Avin is ready to release their next gen unit. Time for you to upgrade your car I guess..... . Or maybe there is another willing test mule out there with a NBT Evo unit who is willing to be a test mule. I think I might know someone...... ....

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #159
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
raichean,

You have done a great job supporting the development of this product, especially for the F3X/F8X crowd. Based on what you said I think I will wait for the Avin-3 (or whatever it will be called) so that I can take advantage of the APIX 2 capabilities of my NBT Evo unit. BMW is supposedly releasing an Android retrofit touchscreen unit this month that is fully is fully compatible with NBT and NBT Evo units - which can be installed by the dealer. One feature advertised is full touchscreen capability for both the OEM functions and the Android functions. That should mean the aftermarket alternative (i.e. Avin 3 and others) should be right around the corner.

Too bad you don't have a NBT Evo unit to fully test it when Avin is ready to release their next gen unit. Time for you to upgrade your car I guess..... . Or maybe there is another willing test mule out there with a NBT Evo unit who is willing to be a test mule. I think I might know someone...... ....
To be clear, the Avin-3 does not equal automatically an update to the FX display series. All the models I have heard thus far for the -3 are E series, 46, 53, maybe 83, etc. I have NOT heard a whisper of an OS/feature/hardware update yet for the F3X series display.

I am fascinated BMW is putting out an "aftermarket" upgrade as it were.. maybe the various criticisms around the iDrive, instant obsolescence of the version and non upgradable (mostly) has set in?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #160
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

That is not BMW...

Quote:
raichean,

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #161
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
That is not BMW...
Yes, technically you are correct that BMW is not making it, another aftermarket company is, but it will be offered through BMW.... This is what I was referring to..(but I think you knew that)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1404864

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #162
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
To be clear, the Avin-3 does not equal automatically an update to the FX display series. All the models I have heard thus far for the -3 are E series, 46, 53, maybe 83, etc. I have NOT heard a whisper of an OS/feature/hardware update yet for the F3X series display.
I know what you mean.... The insight you provided (along with other things that are coming out soon) makes it easier for me to wait a bit longer for something that will be able to take advantage of the NBT Evo hardware.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #163
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Actually, this company talks about offering this product to dealers and websites and not thru BMWNA. If you notice, there is no mention of any warranty in that press release for when BMW voids the iDrive OEM HU in the case of malfunction/defect when the OEM CID is replaced by this Chinese aftermarket CID. A dealer installing this has to offer a supplementary warranty like Dinan does -which is not mentioned anywhere either.

Something to consider.

Quote:
Yes, technically you are correct that BMW is not making it, another aftermarket company is, but it will be offered through BMW.... This is what I was referring to..(but I think you knew that)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1404864
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #164
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Actually, this company talks about offering this product to dealers and websites and not thru BMWNA. If you notice, there is no mention of any warranty in that press release for when BMW voids the iDrive OEM HU in the case of malfunction/defect when the OEM CID is replaced by this Chinese aftermarket CID. A dealer installing this has to offer a supplementary warranty like Dinan does -which is not mentioned anywhere either.

Something to consider.

Specifically states it will not affect Warranty...

“This advanced, Android touch screen goes beyond industry standards by allowing the driver to connect to online music applications such as Apple Music and Spotify, as well as navigation systems such as Waze, among others, which can be downloaded anywhere,” notes SDS Vice- president Amir Weizer. “The screen affords a driving experience comparable to those featured by other leading luxury cars, such as Tesla, and, via its built-in USB port, can be connected to external devices that employ HD or other video formats,” Weizer adds. “And for BMW owners, what’s particularly important is that its installation does not compromise the car warranty in any way.”

http://safedrivesystems.com/blog/adv...inch-retrofit/

At this point, may or may not be accurate...their product launch was/is very disappointing...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #165
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any time an OEM part is replaced by aftermarket the warranty of that part and what is connected to (and sometimes even OEM parts not related to the replacement) may be voided by BMWNA at any instance.

We can argue that the dealer must prove that the replacement caused the OEM malfunction, but we all should know that by now that it just does not work like that in the real world unless we are willing to go to court.

Now, if a dealer is the one saying that their install is covered under their own warranty then it is different. But the seller saying it means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Specifically states it will not affect Warranty...

“This advanced, Android touch screen goes beyond industry standards by allowing the driver to connect to online music applications such as Apple Music and Spotify, as well as navigation systems such as Waze, among others, which can be downloaded anywhere,” notes SDS Vice- president Amir Weizer. “The screen affords a driving experience comparable to those featured by other leading luxury cars, such as Tesla, and, via its built-in USB port, can be connected to external devices that employ HD or other video formats,” Weizer adds. “And for BMW owners, what’s particularly important is that its installation does not compromise the car warranty in any way.”

http://safedrivesystems.com/blog/adv...inch-retrofit/

At this point, may or may not be accurate...their product launch was/is very disappointing...

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:23 AM   #166
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

raichean I am interested in getting this for my plain CIC no thrill 6.5" screen (with no navigation). I read from other pots that for such a setup routing thru AUX is required in order to get sound from the Android side. Is there installation instruction in the box that covers that? I watched your video on Youtube (a very nice one!) but am afraid your setup is not the same as mine and thus I may run into trouble.

Another question I have is that does the unit run warm/hot when you have things like Google Map running? Obviously I don't want to put a fire hazard in my car.

Last question is that I do plan to keep my phone connected to the factory idrive for normal phone calls. If I do that and I happen to be on the Android side, what would the screen do? Ideally it would switch to the idrive phone display as not doing so would be a big inconvenient for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #167
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
raichean I am interested in getting this for my plain CIC no thrill 6.5" screen (with no navigation). I read from other pots that for such a setup routing thru AUX is required in order to get sound from the Android side. Is there installation instruction in the box that covers that? I watched your video on Youtube (a very nice one!) but am afraid your setup is not the same as mine and thus I may run into trouble.

Another question I have is that does the unit run warm/hot when you have things like Google Map running? Obviously I don't want to put a fire hazard in my car.

Last question is that I do plan to keep my phone connected to the factory idrive for normal phone calls. If I do that and I happen to be on the Android side, what would the screen do? Ideally it would switch to the idrive phone display as not doing so would be a big inconvenient for me.
Hey great questions!

Running the aux cable is really easy. When you have the factory head unit out and you are installing the new cable harness, take the provided AUX cable, plug into the port on the new harness and then run down and under your center dash. You can do it without out even pulling the center piece (where the idrive controller sits, but you can do so by simply and gently pulling up on that piece if you want). Lift the arm rest, and then (I assume just the rubber tray piece, if you don't have the phone dock) lift the rubber mat and fish the aux cable through the existing holes. Plug in and put the rubber mat back into place.

I haven't noticed the display running warm in any way, so I think you are ok there.

So in the android screens and a phone call through the iDrive system wont flip you back over to take the call, at least in the screens. Now that said, that ISNT a scenario I have tested, so not 100% on the behavior other than I bet it wouldn't flip the screen. Now I BET you would still hear the call through your speakers, and then be able to answer through the steering wheel controls, but that is a guess without trying it.

You could also have your phone connected to the android side, and then it would switch over.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #168
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
So in the android screens and a phone call through the iDrive system wont flip you back over to take the call, at least in the screens. Now that said, that ISNT a scenario I have tested, so not 100% on the behavior other than I bet it wouldn't flip the screen. Now I BET you would still hear the call through your speakers, and then be able to answer through the steering wheel controls, but that is a guess without trying it.

You could also have your phone connected to the android side, and then it would switch over.
Interesting...... I thought this touchscreen unit used the steering wheel controls on the Android side? Or is it only for things like volume and track/station scrolling? Since this unit does tap into the CAN bus, which is the same bus that all of the buttons in the car uses (from the radio to the windows to the iDrive controller), I am curious to know what exactly does this unit control via the OEM buttons and the CAN bus and if the control using OEM buttons in the car (primarily on the steering wheel) "switch" depending on if the Android side is active on the screen vs the OEM side.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #169
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Interesting...... I thought this touchscreen unit used the steering wheel controls on the Android side? Or is it only for things like volume and track/station scrolling? Since this unit does tap into the CAN bus, which is the same bus that all of the buttons in the car uses (from the radio to the windows to the iDrive controller), I am curious to know what exactly does this unit control via the OEM buttons and the CAN bus and if the control using OEM buttons in the car (primarily on the steering wheel) "switch" depending on if the Android side is active on the screen vs the OEM side.
It does use steering wheel controls, but not all of them. For me, I notice the phone button doesn't do anything when on the android side, but the voice button launches NAV. Volume works properly on both sides, and I haven't walked through others enough to speak to each one. Ironically I don't use the buttons on the wheel very much.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:02 PM   #170
noelskii
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 3.0 SI

I installed this last week on my 2007 x5 3.0 SI with the lowest of the lowest CCC version (smallest screen, no nav, no reverse cam, no pdc, nothing!). Everything works as it should(I think). Huge upgrade for me.

I have some questions for you, OP.

1.When you play any audio/video or whatever on the Avin screen, is everything supposed to cut off when you switch to the original screen(it does this for me)? When I'm playing BTA from my phone, and I exit the BTA menu, the music cuts off...

2. For me to play any audio from the Avin screen, I first have to go to my original screen and switch my option to AUX. Is this true for you as well? Is there an automatic switching mode for this?

3.This Sunday was pretty hot and I was parked under the sun. My screen seemed too warm and I had some issues. Faded and original/Avin screens were both appearing. Not sure how to describe it. It was like overlapping eachother and I could barely read them. After it cooled down, everything went back to normal... Spoke to tommy and he asked me about my CAN settings, but that wasn't the issue. I'm blaming it on the heat. I hope it's not a hardware or software issue....

4.My iDrive knob only works in OG screen. How did you get yours to work on the Avin screen?

5.When I go on reverse, my backup cam cuts everything off including music from Avin screen, but not OG screen music. Is this normal? Or is there a bypass for this?

6.I changed my start up screen to the BMW logo, but still have yet to actually see it. lol.

7.I ordered Apple CarPlay...can't wait for this! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #171
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
I installed this last week on my 2007 x5 3.0 SI with the lowest of the lowest CCC version (smallest screen, no nav, no reverse cam, no pdc, nothing!). Everything works as it should(I think). Huge upgrade for me.

I have some questions for you, OP.

1.When you play any audio/video or whatever on the Avin screen, is everything supposed to cut off when you switch to the original screen(it does this for me)? When I'm playing BTA from my phone, and I exit the BTA menu, the music cuts off...

2. For me to play any audio from the Avin screen, I first have to go to my original screen and switch my option to AUX. Is this true for you as well? Is there an automatic switching mode for this?

3.This Sunday was pretty hot and I was parked under the sun. My screen seemed too warm and I had some issues. Faded and original/Avin screens were both appearing. Not sure how to describe it. It was like overlapping eachother and I could barely read them. After it cooled down, everything went back to normal... Spoke to tommy and he asked me about my CAN settings, but that wasn't the issue. I'm blaming it on the heat. I hope it's not a hardware or software issue....

4.My iDrive knob only works in OG screen. How did you get yours to work on the Avin screen?

5.When I go on reverse, my backup cam cuts everything off including music from Avin screen, but not OG screen music. Is this normal? Or is there a bypass for this?

6.I changed my start up screen to the BMW logo, but still have yet to actually see it. lol.

7.I ordered Apple CarPlay...can't wait for this! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I will answer what I can:

1. So if I understand your question, its cutting off sound depending on source as you move from the android side to the iDrive side. Yes? So in somethings it does as you see.. android side music app, move to idrive original car, it will cut off what was playing. If I have the radio playing on the iDrive side, and go to android NAV, I still have radio. So in some cases it does cut off, some it doesn't depending on function.

2. Great question on this one, but it switches automatically for me.. Did you have to run the AUX cable? I am guessing you did, where I did not. It may be that with having to run the aux cable, then all sound/music from the android side is coming through the AUX input in iDrive, so yes that source would have to be selected. I didn't have to run the cable and auto switches for me.

3. Interesting and yeah a little worrying with the heat. I am in the PacNW, and had some serious heat the last few weeks. I didn't see any issues or ghosting like that with my display. I would say if you continue to see that, stay in touch with Tommy and work if it is a bad display.

4. My iDrive wheel just works.. make sure all of your selection sections in the display config are right, iDrive, head unit etc. My wheel just works.. rocking to either side, press down to select, spin to select through the top tiles of the android UI. I am guessing this is a can bus or settings issue for you.

5. I haven't seen this but not sure I have actually tried this either. So music source from the Android side, flip into reverse? OEM back up camera or after market?

6. Essentially double click on the start up logo image you want.. if you just tap it once (which selects it) doesn't SAVE the selection. Tap on it twice, and you should see a SAVED message.

7. I haven't worked with this yet, but when I do I will post up a review video.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #172
noelskii
Rep

1. So if I understand your question, its cutting off sound depending on source as you move from the android side to the iDrive side. Yes? So in somethings it does as you see.. android side music app, move to idrive original car, it will cut off what was playing. If I have the radio playing on the iDrive side, and go to android NAV, I still have radio. So in some cases it does cut off, some it doesn't depending on function. Yes,
anything from android side cuts off when I move to iDrive side

2. Great question on this one, but it switches automatically for me.. Did you have to run the AUX cable? I am guessing you did, where I did not. It may be that with having to run the aux cable, then all sound/music from the android side is coming through the AUX input in iDrive, so yes that source would have to be selected. I didn't have to run the cable and auto switches for me. No, i didn't have to run the AUX cord. I only ran
the cord into my glove as a spare AUX input..

3. Interesting and yeah a little worrying with the heat. I am in the PacNW, and had some serious heat the last few weeks. I didn't see any issues or ghosting like that with my display. I would say if you continue to see that, stay in touch with Tommy and work if it is a bad display.

4. My iDrive wheel just works.. make sure all of your selection sections in the display config are right, iDrive, head unit etc. My wheel just works.. rocking to either side, press down to select, spin to select through the top tiles of the android UI. I am guessing this is a can bus or settings issue for you. Maybe because I have the super old iDrive knob?

5. I haven't seen this but not sure I have actually tried this either. So music source from the Android side, flip into reverse? OEM back up camera or after market? Aftermarket. When i'm in Android side and I go in reverse, the camera goes on but the movie or music completely stops, until i get out of reverse and then everything turns back on. But when I'm on the iDrive side and go on reverse, the music doesn't stop.

6. Essentially double click on the start up logo image you want.. if you just tap it once (which selects it) doesn't SAVE the selection. Tap on it twice, and you should see a SAVED message.

7. I haven't worked with this yet, but when I do I will post up a review video.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 01:46 AM   #173
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep

Having to switch to AUX every time I want to hear something from the Android side may not be ideal for me. Would be nice to have the sound piggyback together but looks like with the AUX connection, that's not possible.

Is there any installation instruction that comes with the package?

raichean Do the 1-8 shortcut keys still work while in the Android side?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #174
noelskii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
Having to switch to AUX every time I want to hear something from the Android side may not be ideal for me. Would be nice to have the sound piggyback together but looks like with the AUX connection, that's not possible.

Is there any installation instruction that comes with the package?

raichean Do the 1-8 shortcut keys still work while in the Android side?
I actually figured it out. I was playing with the factory settings on the android and I chose iDrive "B" and now it switches automatically and it even lets me use the iDrive knob on the Android screen.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #175
noelskii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapotrini View Post
Wait, Android 4.4 is the OS used here? Is that a joke? That's a 5 years old OS which doesn't even meet the requirements of Android Auto. That's unbelievable.
I have an iPhone, but I just read the site and it says that the Android phone is what needs the 5.0 or higher OS in order to run Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 12:54 AM   #176
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelskii View Post
I actually figured it out. I was playing with the factory settings on the android and I chose iDrive "B" and now it switches automatically and it even lets me use the iDrive knob on the Android screen.
Ah, that's the trick. Glad that you figured it out! Now this thing is getting higher up in my priority list of things I want to get...
Appreciate 1
brichi38.50