F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > pure stage 1 and hpfp
Extreme Powerhouse

11-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #1
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M.G. w red interior

pure stage 1 and hpfp

so with the new HPFP option coming out and prices dropping, I've been spinning the idea of a PS1 and HPFP. was also wondering if pure would be willing to mate the PS1 with the better flowing turbofold they use for stage 2 (if even possible), or finding the better flowing M2 turbofold to mate up, but can forsee problems with me being PWG and compatability. sooo, would a PS1, HPFP, pure inlet, and possible turbofold see more than the average 30-40whp gains? or is the consensus still to skip stage 1 and go straight to stage 2. I'm not trying to break the 500whp mark, just looking for fun and reliable.
I was also looking at the new turbosmart BOV to help manage turbolag, being a 6mt I imagine it's worse than AT, but the pictures show a harness like it's for EWG. I e-mailed turbosmart and they said "all bmw's use electronic wastegates", was not very promising..

I'm currently FBO/catless DP running MHD 2+
thanks for any feedback!
      11-23-2019, 10:14 PM   #2
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
so with the new HPFP option coming out and prices dropping, I've been spinning the idea of a PS1 and HPFP. was also wondering if pure would be willing to mate the PS1 with the better flowing turbofold they use for stage 2 (if even possible), or finding the better flowing M2 turbofold to mate up, but can forsee problems with me being PWG and compatability. sooo, would a PS1, HPFP, pure inlet, and possible turbofold see more than the average 30-40whp gains? or is the consensus still to skip stage 1 and go straight to stage 2. I'm not trying to break the 500whp mark, just looking for fun and reliable.
I was also looking at the new turbosmart BOV to help manage turbolag, being a 6mt I imagine it's worse than AT, but the pictures show a harness like it's for EWG. I e-mailed turbosmart and they said "all bmw's use electronic wastegates", was not very promising..

thanks for any feedback!
You don't need to upgrade hpfp with PS1.
      11-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Quote:

thanks for any feedback!
I get it's not mandatory, but if the stock turbo can benefit from just an upgraded HPFP, wouldn't a ps1 also?
      11-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
JDMDC231
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW x5

Who else has a hpfp coming out? I thought xdi35 was the only option?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDC231 View Post
Who else has a hpfp coming out? I thought xdi35 was the only option?

Spool Performance

Several Threads on the B58 2nd Gen evo6 HPFP (needs a little physical modification to PnP, no special tuning needed)

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

thanks for any feedback!
I've got the turbosmart on my N55. It's EWG but don't think it matters if it was a PWG. It's a replacement for the Diverter Valve which I believe is the same regardless of which wastegate is being used on the N55. Easy enough to check part numbers of DV used on PWG and EWG engines on realoem. I expect that they would be the same.
Oh and the cable that you see in the photos doesn't matter. It just happens to be a little longer than necessary but that's no big deal.
Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
JDMDC231
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW x5

That b58tu/evo6 pump is like searching for a needle in a hay stack I looked but could not find any.. As for the spool pump been waiting also but doesn’t look like it’s going to come out anytime soon
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #8
jake1220
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

I had the PS1 in my PWG 135i and honestly you might not even notice much of a difference over stock turbo. Go PS2 or don't upgrade the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 02:57 AM   #9
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've got the turbosmart on my N55. It's EWG but don't think it matters if it was a PWG. It's a replacement for the Diverter Valve which I believe is the same regardless of which wastegate is being used on the N55. Easy enough to check part numbers of DV used on PWG and EWG engines on realoem. I expect that they would be the same.
Oh and the cable that you see in the photos doesn't matter. It just happens to be a little longer than necessary but that's no big deal.
Hope this helps!
I guess the part confusing me is in the picture it shows a harness coming from the DV which makes it seem like it's electronically controlled. what is that line/plug coming from it?

Quote:
That b58tu/evo6 pump is like searching for a needle in a hay stack I looked but could not find any.. As for the spool pump been waiting also but doesn’t look like it’s going to come out anytime soon
yea, hopefully it's not "coming soon" well into 2020. with the release price expected to be 1,399 (according to 2 different post), I wonder what the flow difference is between XDI, probably making the XDI well worth it for a few hundred dollars more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake1220 View Post
I had the PS1 in my PWG 135i and honestly you might not even notice much of a difference over stock turbo. Go PS2 or don't upgrade the turbo.
so many threads say to skip ps1 over ps2, I'm just worried about the additional lag introduced, especially for the 6mt essentially releasing boost between each gear change. was wondering if the added benefit of a better flowing exhaust manifold and hpfp would actually benefit, alot of the ps1 results were FBO and tuned.
      11-24-2019, 05:59 AM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hope this helps!
I guess the part confusing me is in the picture it shows a harness coming from the DV which makes it seem like it's electronically controlled. what is that line/plug coming from it?

Quote:
That b58tu/evo6 pump is like searching for a needle in a hay stack I looked but could not find any.. As for the spool pump been waiting also but doesn't look like it's going to come out anytime soon
yea, hopefully it's not "coming soon" well into 2020. with the release price expected to be 1,399 (according to 2 different post), I wonder what the flow difference is between XDI, probably making the XDI well worth it for a few hundred dollars more.

Quote:
so many threads say to skip ps1 over ps2, I'm just worried about the additional lag introduced, especially for the 6mt essentially releasing boost between each gear change. was wondering if the added benefit of a better flowing exhaust manifold and hpfp would actually benefit, alot of the ps1 results were FBO and tuned.
The Diverter Valve IS electronically controlled by the ECU. This is all regardless of whether the car's wastegate is PWG or EWG. The wastegate and the Diverter Valve are two different components.

See attached photo. You can clearly see the electrical connection on the stock Diverter Valve. The Turbosmart puts the same electrical connector on the end of a small cable instead of embedding it on the unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:05 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hope this helps!

Quote:
That b58tu/evo6 pump is like searching for a needle in a hay stack I looked but could not find any.. As for the spool pump been waiting also but doesn't look like it's going to come out anytime soon

Quote:
The Diverter Valve IS electronically controlled by the ECU. This is all regardless of whether the car's wastegate is PWG or EWG. The wastegate and the Diverter Valve are two different components.

See attached photo. You can clearly see the electrical connection on the stock Diverter Valve. The Turbosmart puts the same electrical connector on the end of a small cable instead of embedding it on the unit itself.
Attached photo...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for any feedback!
I get it's not mandatory, but if the stock turbo can benefit from just an upgraded HPFP, wouldn't a ps1 also?
I've read people assuming that a stock turbo car can benefit from an upgraded fuel pump but that doesn't make sense. If a stock turbo car was starved for fuel, that is pumping more air into the engine but the fuel pump not being able to keep up by supplying the corresponding amount of fuel, then it would be instantly felt at higher revs. And logs would show it! I've recently been in such a car and you would absolutely notice a problem when you accelerate and the engine hits fuel starvation. It's not a gradual thing at all. It's sudden!

Unless those fuel starvation symptoms are felt, upgrading the fuel pump on a stock turbo car would provide no improvement. You'd never hit the threshold where more fuel is needed. The stock turbo never supplies an over abundance of intake airflow that the stock fuel pump can't easily handle.

Also I did not fully understand the turbo sizing until I spoke with Pure Turbos. I suspect that guys might be making incorrect comments based on incorrect assumptions. Here's what they said:

1) Early N55 PWG Engine- comes with the smallest capacity turbo along with the smallest 3.5" exhaust outlet to its downpipe.

2) Later N55 EWG Engine- comes with a higher capacity turbo along with a larger 4.0" exhaust outlet to its downpipe. (Provides less back pressure to the turbo so higher airflow meaning more horsepower.)

Essentially Turbo#2 = Turbo#3

3) Pure Turbos N55 Stage1 Turbo- is about the same size as the N55 EWG stock turbo. So this is often a point of confusion. PureStage1 IS an upgrade to a N55 PWG. But would be a lateral move for a N55 EWG turbo. No real improvement. So if someone says that it is not worth it to upgrade to a PS1, that's only correct if they are saying it to a person with an N55 EWG engine. A Pure Turbos Stage1 upgrade would be a noticeable improvement to someone with an N55 PWG.

4) Pure Turbos N55 Stage2 Turbo upgrade- has a higher capacity airflow so more potential horsepower. But that level of airflow exceeds the maximum capacity of other components forcing them to also be upgraded to achieve higher horsepower. I've read that you can still drive a PS2 with most of the stock components and feel a power improvement, but really you gotta start upgrading things like Diverter Valve, turbo inlet pipe, intake sensors, (expensive) fuel pump, and begin entertaining expensive exotic fuel options other than 93 octane pump gas.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
      11-24-2019, 07:06 AM   #13
Jake From State Farm
Uhh... Khakis?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F250 Powerstroke

Quote:
I've read people assuming that a stock turbo car can benefit from an upgraded fuel pump but that doesn't make sense. If a stock turbo car was starved for fuel, that is pumping more air into the engine but the fuel pump not being able to keep up by supplying the corresponding amount of fuel, then it would be instantly felt at higher revs. And logs would show it! I've recently been in such a car and you would absolutely notice a problem when you accelerate and the engine hits fuel starvation. It's not a gradual thing at all. It's sudden!

Unless those fuel starvation symptoms are felt, upgrading the fuel pump on a stock turbo car would provide no improvement. You'd never hit the threshold where more fuel is needed. The stock turbo never supplies an over abundance of intake airflow that the stock fuel pump can't easily handle.

Also I did not fully understand the turbo sizing until I spoke with Pure Turbos. I suspect that guys might be making incorrect comments based on incorrect assumptions. Here's what they said:

1) Early N55 PWG Engine- comes with the smallest capacity turbo along with the smallest 3.5" exhaust outlet to its downpipe.

2) Later N55 EWG Engine- comes with a higher capacity turbo along with a larger 4.0" exhaust outlet to its downpipe. (Provides less back pressure to the turbo so higher airflow meaning more horsepower.)

Essentially Turbo#2 = Turbo#3

3) Pure Turbos N55 Stage1 Turbo- is about the same size as the N55 EWG stock turbo. So this is often a point of confusion. PureStage1 IS an upgrade to a N55 PWG. But would be a lateral move for a N55 EWG turbo. No real improvement. So if someone says that it is not worth it to upgrade to a PS1, that's only correct if they are saying it to a person with an N55 EWG engine. A Pure Turbos Stage1 upgrade would be a noticeable improvement to someone with an N55 PWG.

4) Pure Turbos N55 Stage2 Turbo upgrade- has a higher capacity airflow so more potential horsepower. But that level of airflow exceeds the maximum capacity of other components forcing them to also be upgraded to achieve higher horsepower. I've read that you can still drive a PS2 with most of the stock components and feel a power improvement, but really you gotta start upgrading things like Diverter Valve, turbo inlet pipe, intake sensors, (expensive) fuel pump, and begin entertaining expensive exotic fuel options other than 93 octane pump gas.

Hope this helps!
Well said.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      11-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #14
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

@johnung
most oem turbos do fine with the regular HPFP because the tunes are designed to taper boost to not crash the HPFP in the higher RPM range right? user BMWDIYGUY saw decent gains on just his XDI HPFP upgrade. now if I'm PWG going PS1, and HPFP, and if possible a better turbofold.. are the gains really going to be on par with other PWG to PS1 users still, or better? and on the topic of the turbofold, realistically, unless I can find one (and IF this would actually work) at a very low price, PS2 would likely be the better option. just trying to stay at a reasonable budget when I don't have crazy power goals.
      11-24-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
Jake From State Farm
Uhh... Khakis?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F250 Powerstroke

Quote:
@johnung
most oem turbos do fine with the regular HPFP because the tunes are designed to taper boost to not crash the HPFP in the higher RPM range right? user BMWDIYGUY saw decent gains on just his XDI HPFP upgrade. now if I'm PWG going PS1, and HPFP, and if possible a better turbofold.. are the gains really going to be on par with other PWG to PS1 users still, or better? and on the topic of the turbofold, realistically, unless I can find one (and IF this would actually work) at a very low price, PS2 would likely be the better option. just trying to stay at a reasonable budget when I don't have crazy power goals.
Upgrade your LPFP to stage 2/3 with Fuel It and run an E30 or 40 mix and that will increase your HP quite a bit without dropping $2K on the xdi HPFP. Not sure how much HP you will realize just dropping in the upgraded HPFP.

As others have mentioned you can retrofit a B58 HPFP that flows much better and will save you a lot of $$ if you’re sold on the HPFP option.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #16
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
@johnung
Tunes don't taper boost up top on stock turbo.... the stock (pwg) turbo just runs out of steam and tapers itself. It's not something tuners are doing on purpose and definitely has nothing to do with the stock hpfp.

You are chasing a dead end here with trying to justify needing to upgrade stock hpfp on stock turbo or ps1. Ps1 is essentially equivalent to stock ewg turbo, stock ewg turbos get maxed out without hitting fueling limits. Find a competent tuner, get the ps1, custom tune it for your fueling and ambients and you will be good to go.

Also, I think somebody posted about upgrading lpfp... also a waste of money with your proposed setup.
      11-25-2019, 01:51 AM   #17
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
@johnung
Tunes don't taper boost up top on stock turbo.... the stock (pwg) turbo just runs out of steam and tapers itself. It's not something tuners are doing on purpose and definitely has nothing to do with the stock hpfp.

You are chasing a dead end here with trying to justify needing to upgrade stock hpfp on stock turbo or ps1. Ps1 is essentially equivalent to stock ewg turbo, stock ewg turbos get maxed out without hitting fueling limits. Find a competent tuner, get the ps1, custom tune it for your fueling and ambients and you will be good to go.

Also, I think somebody posted about upgrading lpfp... also a waste of money with your proposed setup.
makes sense, was just wonderingnif their was a way to squeeze more potential from the PS1, looks like there's not... gotta pay to play, also, nobody really commented on my turbofold comment, dumb question? the M2 and PS2 turbofold are better flowing, so why has nobody tried to mate them together? wierd ass BMW design
      11-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #18
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Question , Pwg stg 2 and Ewg stg 2 are they different in any way other than the exhaust outlet?
      11-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #19
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedawg View Post
Question , Pwg stg 2 and Ewg stg 2 are they different in any way other than the exhaust outlet?
from what I've read, yea, just the 3 1/2" vs 4" downpipe connection is the only difference
      11-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #20
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
makes sense, was just wonderingnif their was a way to squeeze more potential from the PS1, looks like there's not... gotta pay to play, also, nobody really commented on my turbofold comment, dumb question? the M2 and PS2 turbofold are better flowing, so why has nobody tried to mate them together? wierd ass BMW design

quite a bit of talk concerning design back when SpeedTech launched their design...

Start HERE post #59

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
DreamerJoe
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Quote:

quite a bit of talk concerning design back when SpeedTech launched their design...

Start HERE post #59

their in-house designed manifold is a part of their turbo kit though it seems, not something to be purchased seperatley.