F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windscreen Washer - No power
Extreme Powerhouse

06-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
jayz1975
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d xDrive F30 - Remap

Windscreen Washer - No power

Looking for some help please; I have an 2015 335d and recently my windscreen washer pump just stopped working. I know there are various threads regards clogged jets/pipes e.g. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1448561 or https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1449121. However my issue is slightly different in that, unlike in these threads, the washer pump doesn't even engage, there is no noise from the pump at all. Also, even after pulling on the washer leaver tens of times, the headlight washer also doesn't engage which is leading me to think the fuse has blown as it would unusual for both pumps to fail at the same time.

I tried looking for the fuse, as thought the motors aren't getting power, however in the fuse layout sheet the two entries for washer just show a "Service Car" symbol, I assume indicating that there is no fuse so a mechanic needs to look at this.

Is that the view of people on this forum? I know I can just remove the tank and examine the motors, but that is a big task (as per https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1369682), so wanted to know if there is something more simple I can do?

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise this fathers day weekend I'll be pulling parts of the car out

Last edited by jayz1975; 06-15-2022 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Added info that headlight washer also isn't working.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 11:10 AM   #2
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayz1975 View Post
I tried looking for the fuse, as thought the motors aren't getting power, however in the fuse layout sheet the two entries for washer just show a "Service Car" symbol, I assume indicating that there is no fuse so a mechanic needs to look at this.
I would start by using a multimeter to check for voltage at the plug before diving further into it.

When I went looking for the fuse for my horn, it also had the service wrench. That was because it was tucked up in my passenger footwell and required taking several panels off to access. I assume you've got the same situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 11:36 AM   #3
jayz1975
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyv3r View Post
I would start by using a multimeter to check for voltage at the plug before diving further into it.

When I went looking for the fuse for my horn, it also had the service wrench. That was because it was tucked up in my passenger footwell and required taking several panels off to access. I assume you've got the same situation.
Thanks McGyv3r. To get to the plug I need to take the whole washer reservoir out, do you know if there's a cheat to get easy access say perhaps fromt he wheel arch? Regards fuse, I guess that may be the case for the washer fuses, I don't suppose you know which numbers they would be, even if they are hidden in the passenger footwell, I'd be happy to take panels out to get t them as suspect that would e quicker than getting ot the pump itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
McGyv3r
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1989 325i & 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
1989 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I don't have my Bentley manual available to reference, so I can't look up the actual fuse or location. If you plan to work on your f30, getting a Bentley to reference is a lifesaver. (You may even be able to find a copy to download)

For the pump, you may be able to remove the wheel well liner (12-ish 8mm bolts) to access the plug and the pump. Taking the front wheel off will make it significantly easier.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #5
jayz1975
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyv3r View Post
I don't have my Bentley manual available to reference, so I can't look up the actual fuse or location. If you plan to work on your f30, getting a Bentley to reference is a lifesaver. (You may even be able to find a copy to download)

For the pump, you may be able to remove the wheel well liner (12-ish 8mm bolts) to access the plug and the pump. Taking the front wheel off will make it significantly easier.
Thanks, I'll see if I can get hold of the manual and will give getting access via wheel arch a go.
Appreciate 0