F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > H&R Sport + Bilstein B8
proTUNING Freaks

10-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

SedanClan. The labor was about $400. I think it was a reasonable price given the reputation of the shop and the quality of their work.

---and on to the review.

I'm not sure where to start. I bought this car over a year and half ago. I've loved it, but from day one it's always felt less like the sports sedan I thought I was buying and more like a cadillac. I've owned an e46 325i and e90 330i, both with the sport suspension option. Both felt like a proper sport suspension set up. The F30, don't get me wrong, it's a phenomenal car, but it has lost the sporty feel I loved so much.

After 2 hours of driving with the Bilsteins and H&R setup I feel like I've got a brand new car. In a word, Amazing! Turn in, excellent. Body Roll, well controlled but not completely gone. Bumps are certainly more pronounced but never harsh and they never disturb the car from it's line. When braking hard before a harsh corner, nose dive isn't an issue. Accelerating through the turn, gone is the waddle of the rear end weight transfer bouncing left and right. The whole feel of the car is stiffer, more aggressive.

I've paid a lot of attention to past posts regarding Coil-Overs, changing out the rear shocks and or just changing springs . I made my decision based on the fact that all of the coil-over options are too low for me at their highest setting, and the modest drop of the H&R Sports seemed ideal to me. The BMW M-Performance route seemed far to expensive and the 10mm drop just wasn't enough for me. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Happy Happy Day.

Looks? Again. Exactly what I wanted. The car sits significantly lower without tire rub. I had my doubts but after several tight u-turns today I am convinced there is no rub at the extremes. I added 15mm spacers on the rear and every time I look down I can't help but crack a big smile. It's just right. The front's could use a spacer as well but I'm not sure how much. I'll wait till the springs settle and see what I can get away with.

Last edited by SD_E88; 10-30-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
vip
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Alpine White M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
SedanClan. The labor was about $400. I think it was a reasonable price given the reputation of the shop and the quality of their work.

---and on to the review.

I'm not sure where to start. I bought this car over a year and half ago. I've loved it, but from day one it's always felt less like the sports sedan I thought I was buying and more like a cadillac. I've owned an e46 325i and e90 330i, both with the sport suspension option. Both felt like a proper sport suspension set up. The F30, don't get me wrong, it's a phenomenal car, but it has lost the sporty feel I loved so much.

After 2 hours of driving with the Bilsteins and H&R setup I feel like I've got a brand new car. In a word, Amazing! Turn in, excellent. Body Roll, well controlled but not completely gone. Bumps are certainly more pronounced but never harsh and they never disturb the car from it's line. When braking hard before a harsh corner, nose dive isn't an issue. Accelerating through the turn, gone is the waddle of the rear end weight transfer bouncing left and right. The whole feel of the car is stiffer, more aggressive.

I've paid a lot of attention to past posts regarding Coil-Overs, changing out the rear shocks and or just changing springs . I made my decision based on the fact that all of the coil-over options are too low for me at their highest setting, and the modest drop of the H&R Sports seemed ideal to me. The BMW M-Performance route seemed far to expensive and the 10mm drop just wasn't enough for me. I couldn't be happier with my choice. Happy Happy Day.

finally, the review i have been waiting for. Do you think this is how the car should have come stock? Any bottoming out? Any harsh dips where the shocks cant handle? I had coilovers and springs before in my old e90 and by far the coilovers were much better than just springs.

If i go this route, I want to be sure that the h&r sport springs and bilstein b8 is the right setup for me. I dont want to have a passenger or two in the car and them complaining about the ride. how can you compare the ride to other vehicles?
      10-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #47
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I didn't say it above but that's what I was thinking. This is absolutely the way the car should have come stock, as a SPORT LINE. I have not driven an M-Sport. I have not driven the base suspension. This is without a doubt what a SPORT LINE should have felt like from the get go. I am definitely a little bitter that I had to spend extra funds to make this car what it should have been, but I am equally annoyed at myself for buying it when I knew it wasn't exactly the way I thought it should be.

@VIP, I don't know how this car would handle with coilovers but I can tell you I am very satisfied with the way the car drives with this set up. If you're really on the fence come on down to SD and we'll go for a drive! As far as comparisons go. It feels like a slightly larger version of my old e46 325i. The e46 sat a little lower but my new setup on the F30 is just as flat in the curves. I'll tell you what it's not. It's nothing like Scion FRS I just test drove. I liked the sporty handling of that little beast. I liked how flat it was in the curves, but it was just too harsh and really quite bouncy when the road was anything but smooth. Fun car though!

All this being said, my biggest complaint on my baby has been fixed. On to the next issue...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #48
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I didn't say it above but that's what I was thinking. This is absolutely the way the car should have come stock, as a SPORT LINE. I have not driven an M-Sport. I have not driven the base suspension. This is without a doubt what a SPORT LINE should have felt like from the get go. I am definitely a little bitter that I had to spend extra funds to make this car what it should have been, but I am equally annoyed at myself for buying it when I knew it wasn't exactly the way I thought it should be.

@VIP, I don't know how this car would handle with coilovers but I can tell you I am very satisfied with the way the car drives with this set up. If you're really on the fence come on down to SD and we'll go for a drive! As far as comparisons go. It feels like a slightly larger version of my old e46 325i. The e46 sat a little lower but my new setup on the F30 is just as flat in the curves. I'll tell you what it's not. It's nothing like Scion FRS I just test drove. I liked the sporty handling of that little beast. I liked how flat it was in the curves, but it was just too harsh and really quite bouncy when the road was anything but smooth. Fun car though!

All this being said, my biggest complaint on my baby has been fixed. On to the next issue...
@SD_F30 Hmm this is very tempting to say the least. I am glad it is working out for you. Ha, if I was in SD I would def take you up on that offer. Seems like this is the setup I should do....

When the road is smooth is still pretty comfortable? Sorry for all the questions...
      10-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #49
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Good to hear that you like it SD. I'm already on H&R's and OEM sport shocks, but I'm looking forward to installing my Bilsteins. I just hope it's stiff enough for my liking. If it's as stiff as an E9X M3's EDC suspension on the variable setting, I'm going to be an extremely happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #50
Jchan112
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i F30

I'm also on h&r sports with oem msport shocks.. This review really wants me to pull the trigger on the bilstein as well but I'm still hesitant since my cars a lease... I might have to come to SD and take that test drive!! =)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112
I'm also on h&r sports with oem msport shocks.. This review really wants me to pull the trigger on the bilstein as well but I'm still hesitant since my cars a lease... I might have to come to SD and take that test drive!! =)
Get in on the Group Buy man. You won't find a better deal. Trust me, I've been researching and pricing for weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #52
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here are a few more pics from yesterday and one of how it sits today...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Looking goooooood!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #54
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

@vip Yes. The ride is very smooth and compliant on smooth roads, even ones with minor bumps. Every bit as comfortable as a BMW Sport Sedan should be. The Cadillac feeling is gone thank god.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
@vip Yes. The ride is very smooth and compliant on smooth roads, even ones with minor bumps. Every bit as comfortable as a BMW Sport Sedan should be. The Cadillac feeling is gone thank god.
I have my fingers crossed that I'm happy with this.

....make that, fingers and toes!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #56
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Good to see these shocks are giving great results. I guess the guys jumping on these all have the standard sport suspension (not DHP), correct?
      10-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #57
vip
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
good to hear. I may wait it out at least 1 or 2 months. I want to hear your thoughts after 1 month/2months....
      10-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #58
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

SD F30

The car looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112 View Post
Takes just as much time to swap springs as it does springs and shocks

So if you are taking the springs off before a lease return, its a no brainer!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Good to see these shocks are giving great results. I guess the guys jumping on these all have the standard sport suspension (not DHP), correct?
Correct! Having ridden in a DHP car, I am a tad jealous that I didn't get that suspension. It is quite nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #60
richb811
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Correct! Having ridden in a DHP car, I am a tad jealous that I didn't get that suspension. It is quite nice.
Great thing with the DHP suspension is that KW makes a DDC coilover that plugs right into the ride handling, so you don't have to disable anything and can use all the stock controls to adjust the ride quality
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Great thing with the DHP suspension is that KW makes a DDC coilover that plugs right into the ride handling, so you don't have to disable anything and can use all the stock controls to adjust the ride quality
That is TITS! I miss having an EDC type suspension. I think I just miss my M3's.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #62
ronin951
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport

OP, by chance have you ever ridden in or driven an F30 with MPS?
      10-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #63
richb811
Rep

Quote:
That is TITS! I miss having an EDC type suspension. I think I just miss my M3's.
I miss your M3! Why'd you get rid of it???
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #64
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
I have a DHP car. It's not all that great Still lots of body roll and feels skittish over small bumps. AND we have less options of changing out parts! I'm a tad jealous of you!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #65
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
I miss your M3! Why'd you get rid of it???
I've asked myself 5 separate times.........because I've gotten rid of 5 separate M3's. The most recent, a 2011.5 E92, was traded in favor of a 2013 X5 35i because I needed a track toy hauler. I was tired of hitching rides with other control riders to the track or riding my track bike to the local track (..with somebody following with all of my tools, stands, etc. in tow). I heavily modded the X5, but somebody offered to buy it after owning it only 5 months, so I sold it and bought a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #66
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo3605 View Post
I have a DHP car. It's not all that great Still lots of body roll and feels skittish over small bumps. AND we have less options of changing out parts! I'm a tad jealous of you!
Ride in my car and your car back-to-back, and you'll see why I made my statement. Sure, there are better suspensions available than the DHP equipped cars, but those cars ride better than standard sport suspension 335i's. At least KW is coming to the rescue for you DHP owners though.
Appreciate 0