F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPE with MPPSK Tune?
proTUNING Freaks

10-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
Scorp10
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive (F30)

Hey all,

I just purchased an MPE (just the axel back not the full MPPSK kit) new for a great deal with the tips included. Definitely provides a nice bump in sound over the stick exhaust. Someone is selling the tune portion of their MPPSK kit, but they did not activate the tune as their using a Dinan tune with their MPPSK set up. My question is, can I utilize this tune with just the MPE? I can't seem to find a similar question in this forum or on a Google search. Would BMW install it? Thanks in advance.
      10-11-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

You cannot install it yourself. You need an authorised BMW workshop to download the software from Munich with the authorisation code you'd give them and install it on your vehicle. They would not do so without the MPPSK exhaust though, as it is, as the K in MPPSK suggests - a Kit!

So in summary - there is no legal way to get just the Tune portion (or just the exhaust portion, for that matter)

There are "illegal" ways - by a third party tune like MHD, which also features the MPPSK map as part of their COTS map package. This you can do yourself (unless your DME has been locked by a recent DME update in the dealership).
      10-11-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

I actually would like to share my 2 cents contradicting what Skyhigh says. The MPPSK includes a red envelope that is sealed. Inside is a FSC code authorizing the installation of the tune onto your car. Without it, the car will not run / run properly. I am under the impression that as long as you have a valid FSC code that you can provide to the dealership, they will just charge you labor to do the software changes.

They do not print the envelopes specifically to your car. They are premade. Therefore, installing the software portion of the MPPSK should be fine on any car that it was not originally purchased for
Appreciate 1
Scorp10114.00
      10-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp10 View Post
Hey all,

I just purchased an MPE (just the axel back not the full MPPSK kit) new for a great deal with the tips included. Definitely provides a nice bump in sound over the stick exhaust. Someone is selling the tune portion of their MPPSK kit, but they did not activate the tune as their using a Dinan tune with their MPPSK set up. My question is, can I utilize this tune with just the MPE? I can't seem to find a similar question in this forum or on a Google search. Would BMW install it? Thanks in advance.
I've had the MPPK tune. It is nothing special. It is not worth purchasing and installing it, even if that were easy to do. IMO install a BootMod3 Stage1 engine tune. It will take you 15 minutes from your laptop with a $20 cable. It is a smooth, powerful factory like tune. The company releases regular free updates, has great tech support and there is an enthusiastic helpful user community. I've been using it myself for 3+ years.

Below is a link to a dyno test showing a performance comparison of the various tunes. I recommended Bootmod3 Stage1 because it is a great upgrade without requiring any hardware changes such as a downpipe which can effect emissions. Just install BootMod3 Stage1 and 15 minutes later be driving and enjoying it.

Note: you will read that a charge pipe upgrade is needed. That belief stems from the earlier F-Series N55 engine which had a poorly shaped CP that was susceptible to breakage even with the stock tune. That's not the case with your B58 engine's charge pipe.

But if you wish a higher level of reliability than the stock plastic CP, the aluminum CP from FTP is a nice upgrade. (Link below) It has great fitment at a reasonable price. Beware cheap alternatives because air leaks are expensive to troubleshoot and repair.

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

@AMG KLR

That's a wrong understanding.

MPPSK is a complete product, which is type-approved for installation on specific F3x vehicles (e.g. non-OPF; two different P/Na depending on F3x model).

What you would be asking the dealership to do is to install "half" of a product, which is not sold and offered separately and is not type-approved for the vehicle in isolation, meaning installation on its own is not permitted. They can only do that at their own discretion whilst ignoring internal guidelines and procedures, such as the BMW MPPSK installation manual (which is freely available for reference and refers to the MPPSK in its entirety, since it is a kit.)

Good luck with that.

The MPPSK tune is not a product that has its own product number and is not offered separately (has never been).
Whilst the software authorisation code (envelope) is not issued to a specific vehicle, it is registered on a specific vehicle once the MPPSK (in its entirety) is installed! This ensures that future BMW updates of the DME of the vehicle would not "kill" the tune.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 10-11-2021 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've had the MPPK tune. It is nothing special. It is not worth purchasing and installing it, even if that were easy to do.
Just a note - your comparison is not directly relevant. You are talking about MPPK for 35i.
The OP is asking about MPPSK for 40i.

There is no MPPK for 40i.
MPPSK = different product, hence different experience.
      10-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
I've had the MPPK tune. It is nothing special. It is not worth purchasing and installing it, even if that were easy to do.
Just a note - your comparison is not directly relevant. You are talking about MPPK for 35i.

You are incorrect. The video link is dyno tests of the B58 tunes so it's exactly comparable for the OP.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2124.50
      10-11-2021, 10:23 PM   #8
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
You are incorrect. The video link is dyno tests of the B58 tunes so it's exactly comparable for the OP.
Confirmed
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      10-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe you failed to notice I quoted a specific part of your post….?

Last edited by Skyhigh; 10-12-2021 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:14 AM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]I've had the MPPK tune. It is nothing special. It is not worth purchasing and installing it, even if that were easy to do.[/COLOR]

Maybe you failed to notice I quoted a specific part of your post….?
Seriously? You want to parse the wording on my response when the information provided is directly applicable to the OPs question. Gave him exactly the information that he was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 03:37 AM   #11
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Not sure you understand how quotes work. Just because some of your information was relevant, doesn't make it all relevant. I simply commented (starting with "just a note"....) on the part which is irrelevant, i.e. your own experience, which is with a different engine and different product. That's all. Never said anything about the rest. Stay cool.
      10-13-2021, 06:55 AM   #12
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0