F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Do not go to the dealer!!!
GetBMWParts

08-13-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' 340i

Do not go to the dealer!!!

Hey guys,

So, I went to the dealer to get the M-Performance BBK installed on my 2016 340i that I bought and have the brakes coded, bled etc.. I only asked them to install all the brakes, bleed them, code them in and then the bedding process, cool. I get the car back 3 days later and i notice the turn on screen is different. Apparently they loaded the new software on my car without me telling them too. So when I stopped the car half a mile a way from the dealer to flash BM3, the flash failed.

When trying to flash stg.2 stg.1 and stock map, it would make it to 3% and then say flashed failed. The car screen had multiple malfunctions on it and the car wouldn't turn on. I then have it towed back to BMW thinking they would be able reflash the DME at least but they said nothing could be done and they wanted to quote me for a new DME. After that i get my Car towed back again from BMW to my place so i can find someone to unbrick and bench unlock my DME.

I take my DME today to a BM3 authorized dealer in Houston, 3 Hrs away from where i live, this morning to see if they can help. They worked on it for hours and hours and weren't able to even unbrick the DME. So now my DME is locked completely and i have no running car lol. The turner was telling me that BMW came out with a stricter software to block access of any kind and lock it down. He's trying to help me by reaching out to his contacts around the country.

Long story short, do not go to the dealer, especially if you are tuned, they will load the software without telling you and you will not be able to flash. And if that does happen to you, then DO NOT attempt to flash the DME until you bench unlock it. If anyone on here knows of anyone who could help me out, that would be much appreciated as well, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Yeah I read about them starting to do this.

They probably did not do it intentionally.

Its probably part of the software package they used to update the car for the brakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:36 PM   #3
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Yeah, it's kinda my fault as well for not researching before flashing again, i was just too excited to get my car back finally lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 06:35 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'd have to say if I couldn't load BM3 back into my car, I'd have to burn it. It's just so underwhelming in stock form now!
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #5
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I'd have to say if I couldn't load BM3 back into my car, I'd have to burn it. It's just so underwhelming in stock form now!
At this point i wish i could even be on a stock map, lol
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by louiebeem View Post
Contact ProTuningFreaks and see what can be done.
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50
      08-13-2021, 10:01 PM   #7
shiftdnb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328dx

Garage List
When you install the M Performance Brakes you have to VO code them in. Probably updated it then.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #8
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
When you install the M Performance Brakes you have to VO code them in. Probably updated it then.
yeah i wish they would've told me they updated it beforehand because i've taken it before tuned and they knew not to mess with the DME but i also wish i would've thought through it before i tried to flash but here i am stuck lmao
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #9
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Quote:
Contact ProTuningFreaks and see what can be done.
yeah i've been in contact with them back and forth but it's hard because i have work as well but they are trying to help me at least get it unbricked so i can at least drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #10
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

Try to hit up mission performance on unbricking the ecu. That guy is a genius. Wouldn't hurt to get some feedback.
      08-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Something similar happened to my 2016 340i, but i was trying to reflash some changes myself. I dont recall exactly what happened but I did something that caused the flash to fail and then after multiple tries of recoding they would all pause at 3% and fail. I must have tried flashing over a dozen times. And tried everything, leaving my car battery unplugged for an hour. force flashing. Downloading the flash. I eventually let the car sit overnight and tried once again in the morning and like a damn miracle it actually went through.
      08-23-2021, 05:52 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post

They probably did not do it intentionally.

Its probably part of the software package they used to update the car for the brakes.
The dealer rarely embarks on self-directed service procedures. Here is what most likely happened:

- ISTA told the technician that the vehicle programming has to be upgraded before M Performance brake coding procedure
- Vehicle programming was done (all ECUs)
- Then brake coding procedure was performed

Fairly standard process. As with any modification, it's "pay to play".
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
If you go to the dealer and dont know precisely what they're gonna do (i.e. anything but an oil change), flash stock first.

But the software update on the dealer end usually fails when the stock map is not detected. So I'm having a hard time understanding what really happenned. But sorry about your luck.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
If you go to the dealer and dont know precisely what they're gonna do (i.e. anything but an oil change), flash stock first.

But the software update on the dealer end usually fails when the stock map is not detected. So I'm having a hard time understanding what really happenned. But sorry about your luck.
yea but i've taken it there before tuned for a service i was due for and they knew it was tuned because i told them and everything was fine lol, either way my DME should be back here tomorrow finally so i can drive and flash again, been out of my car for over 2 weeks smh.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 02:50 AM   #15
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Ask them not to flush it with the latest version of software. If they refuse, remove the DME before service.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #16
nonymou
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330i F36 440i

Yeah i got this too -.-
now i only just have 200hp
i dont know what to do
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #17
B58Rocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i coupe Estoril Blue

I had the same thing happen to me about 3 or 4 months ago. Had to remove the DME and sent it to Kies Motorsports for them to unlock. Cost $250. Sounds like BMW may have a more strict lock down now maybe.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #18
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58Rocket View Post
I had the same thing happen to me about 3 or 4 months ago. Had to remove the DME and sent it to Kies Motorsports for them to unlock. Cost $250. Sounds like BMW may have a more strict lock down now maybe.
Yeah i had to ship it out to Mission Performance out of Cali to unbrick and unlock it lmao, now trying to see if BM3 is possible to flash again cause im trying to go through this again smh
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 07:06 AM   #19
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
yea but i've taken it there before tuned for a service i was due for and they knew it was tuned because i told them and everything was fine lol, either way my DME should be back here tomorrow finally so i can drive and flash again, been out of my car for over 2 weeks smh.
Yeah that's pretty much what I was saying. When they have to connect to OBD, it's never a good sign.

They should make an OBD port lock; where one could physically block access to the OBD port. That would be quite the insurance policy ;p

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #20
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

So is it possible (yet) to bench unlock a dme with this new software update? Same scenario for me where service led to a new update (I noticed it on the iDrive screen immediately turning it on).

I'm currently stock but was about to send it to Kies Motorsport to unlock for BM3. I'll reach out to Kies to ask but curious if anyone knows if an unlocked DME is always unlocked or how that works..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #21
louiebeem
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein Jockins View Post
So is it possible (yet) to bench unlock a dme with this new software update? Same scenario for me where service led to a new update (I noticed it on the iDrive screen immediately turning it on).

I'm currently stock but was about to send it to Kies Motorsport to unlock for BM3. I'll reach out to Kies to ask but curious if anyone knows if an unlocked DME is always unlocked or how that works..
Quote:

Great question, so i sent my DME out to Mission Performance in California to unbrick and bench unlock it. They were successful, but before i try to flash BM3 i have an appointment today with them so they can remotely flash or see if it's possible. Mission Performance said they are able to flash on new software but wasn't sure if MHD or BM3 were capable of doing that. I'll make an update today after my session with PTF and see if the platform is able to. I just didn't want to take a chance again and brick my DME lmao.

side note: when i tried to contact Kies, they never responded to me lmao
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #22
Hein Jockins
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340, 08 E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Great question, so i sent my DME out to Mission Performance in California to unbrick and bench unlock it. They were successful, but before i try to flash BM3 i have an appointment today with them so they can remotely flash or see if it's possible. Mission Performance said they are able to flash on new software but wasn't sure if MHD or BM3 were capable of doing that. I'll make an update today after my session with PTF and see if the platform is able to. I just didn't want to take a chance again and brick my DME lmao.

side note: when i tried to contact Kies, they never responded to me lmao
Awesome please update, and hopefully it's a success hah.

I thought if your dme is unlocked, you could flash it with whatever hence it being unlocked ?
Appreciate 0