F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation
Extreme Powerhouse

11-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #89
spaceoddity
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Entirely too white 2013 320i

PDC won't display on 6.5 screen, just beep. I dunno, I think I've gone off it. Seems a lot of money to mostly cripple the options my car -does- come with.

Going to explore different options, I think.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #90
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have this and if you have Navi, can use your phone to play music and talk then I wouldn’t get this. It makes everything much more confusing to try and use.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #91
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceoddity View Post
PDC won't display on 6.5 screen, just beep. I dunno, I think I've gone off it. Seems a lot of money to mostly cripple the options my car -does- come with.

Going to explore different options, I think.
For me the “things” it offers are to the point.. I don’t know what different options anyone could find.. This one seem the most oem to me and i went this way..
Write if you find any other solution which you will go for..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #92
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
I have this and if you have Navi, can use your phone to play music and talk then I wouldn’t get this. It makes everything much more confusing to try and use.
Of course if you have everything you don’t need this, but if anyone want reverse camera and CarPlay that’s what we want.. (that’s why i ordered it)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #93
njdctm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 DCT

any issues with audio from carplay MMI to the car? i had unichip but got rid of it because the audio output was trash, a lot of static. I love listening to music especially with my aftermarket sub, so this is critical for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #94
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevilf30 View Post
any issues with audio from carplay MMI to the car? i had unichip but got rid of it because the audio output was trash, a lot of static. I love listening to music especially with my aftermarket sub, so this is critical for me.
Crystal clear for me. It’s direct into the aux input on the head unit so I found the quality was better than Bluetooth streaming to the idrive system.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #95
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

i just wish this was full screen, and that there was some sort of screen mirror option.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #96
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny250 View Post
i just wish this was full screen, and that there was some sort of screen mirror option.
I have asked Patrys@BimmerTech for the mirroring option but they don't seem to be willing to consider it.

The solution cannot be even combined with their mirroring solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:01 AM   #97
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I've got my money ready, just waiting on the full screen update.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:32 PM   #98
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by redevilf30 View Post
Had to return my bimmertech CarPlay mmi because of poor audio quality and frustrating conversations from their support. An hour of talking about general CarPlay audio quality instead Of addressing the actual issue. In the end they offered to send a replacement or refund. Actually very good of them to do. I took them up on returning it. Been over a week since they received the return and no contact whatsoever. Basically my biggest problem with them was delays in response and limited hours of availability.

Installed the unichip and great audio quality and no issues out of the box. Of course communication with unichip is difficult and very frustrating. The time difference and language barrier is no joke. But in the end, I have a
Product that does what it’s supposed to. Also the third party microphone sounds really good and was way easier to install than the giant cable bimmertech used to splice into the stock microphone. That was why I originally chose bimmertech but now switching to unichip, I’m very happy with the results. Also the unichip firmware is much more advanced than bimmertech
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #99
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hey grahamrb do you mind to give your feedback about Bimmertech Carplay so far?

Does using OEM microphone is almost the same when making phone calls via Bluetooth (like you making non-HD calls despite the current support on the phone and network)?

If you your screen is 8.8", is it convenient to use with the split screen?

About the steering wheel controls, were you able to use them all?

I am just placing these items above as my decision factors to buy either systems, bimmertech or unichip
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:30 AM   #100
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Hey grahamrb do you mind to give your feedback about Bimmertech Carplay so far?

Does using OEM microphone is almost the same when making phone calls via Bluetooth (like you making non-HD calls despite the current support on the phone and network)?

If you your screen is 8.8", is it convenient to use with the split screen?

About the steering wheel controls, were you able to use them all?

I am just placing these items above as my decision factors to buy either systems, bimmertech or unichip
I’m loving it overall, I consider it a major upgrade from idrive 4 that I was using. Answering your points in turn:
- audio quality with the OEM mic is good, haven’t had issues with that. Only issue is the audio is a little quieter coming out of the speakers so you need to turn the volume up about 3 notches when you take a call
- yes, i’ve got the 8.8” screen. I’m looking forward to the widescreen software update - you can’t use split screen, you just get the CarPlay logo on the right as per the photos
- volume and Siri controls work from the steering wheel without any issues. The scroll and press thing on the steering wheel doesn’t work at the moment - again, looking forward to a software update to support this

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 05:43 AM   #101
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
I’m loving it overall, I consider it a major upgrade from idrive 4 that I was using. Answering your points in turn:
- audio quality with the OEM mic is good, haven’t had issues with that. Only issue is the audio is a little quieter coming out of the speakers so you need to turn the volume up about 3 notches when you take a call
- yes, i’ve got the 8.8” screen. I’m looking forward to the widescreen software update - you can’t use split screen, you just get the CarPlay logo on the right as per the photos
- volume and Siri controls work from the steering wheel without any issues. The scroll and press thing on the steering wheel doesn’t work at the moment - again, looking forward to a software update to support this

Hope that helps.
Thank you and appreciate your answers.

With regards to making calls, when I use my Idrive 5 Bluetooth to make calls, it is noticeable the call quality is just a typical GSM audio. If I switch the call to the earpiece on my iPhone 10, I get that crystal clear audio.

I once had a loan from BMW (2018 330) without Carplay. But the call audio was identical to what I get on my phone. I'm certain this has to do with bluetooth chipset used in the new BMW.

Since calls in Bimmertech uses the USB, I wonder if the audio is the same to what you hear on your phone. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #102
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Thank you and appreciate your answers.

With regards to making calls, when I use my Idrive 5 Bluetooth to make calls, it is noticeable the call quality is just a typical GSM audio. If I switch the call to the earpiece on my iPhone 10, I get that crystal clear audio.

I once had a loan from BMW (2018 330) without Carplay. But the call audio was identical to what I get on my phone. I'm certain this has to do with bluetooth chipset used in the new BMW.

Since calls in Bimmertech uses the USB, I wonder if the audio is the same to what you hear on your phone. Cheers
I haven’t noticed the calls being particularly good or bad to be honest. I find it at least as good as the Bluetooth audio for calls - probably better to be honest. For music it is definitely better quality than Bluetooth streaming.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #103
filmguyuk
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series GT

Hi all.

Can I ask how large is the add-in box and where exactly is it mounted? I'm absolutely fixated with any rattling sounds and wondered if there's a specific area that it lives? Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons. The Bimmertech unit does 2/3 of the screen but uses the inbuilt mics and is capable of screen splitting. The other options that are full screen typically require an OEM mic and don't support split screen options within iDrive? In terms of the steering wheel and iDrive controller, does these work as before?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #104
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmguyuk View Post
Hi all.

Can I ask how large is the add-in box and where exactly is it mounted? I'm absolutely fixated with any rattling sounds and wondered if there's a specific area that it lives? Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons. The Bimmertech unit does 2/3 of the screen but uses the inbuilt mics and is capable of screen splitting. The other options that are full screen typically require an OEM mic and don't support split screen options within iDrive? In terms of the steering wheel and iDrive controller, does these work as before?
You can watch some of the bimmertech Installation videos on YouTube to get an idea as to where it's placed

12-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #105
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi all.

I received mine and I will fit it tomorrow.. this is the size:
Attached Images

Last edited by Chris_ks; 12-10-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #106
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hi all.

It’s about the size of a large hand. It fits in behind the stereo head unit. It’s surrounded by the wiring harness and I haven’t had any issues with rattling.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:46 AM   #107
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Did anyone use this cable???
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #108
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
Did anyone use this cable???
I think on some models you need it to tap into the mic line but on mine it wasn't required although I did need to plug two cables together on the provided harness rather than using that to route the mic in.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #109
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I didn’t use it and I made a call and it was fine... I am waiting the answer from BimmerTech too.. I sent them email..

The only problem for me is that my aftermarket camera displays black screen although i connected the yellow plug and the brown BimmerTech wire with the red one from my camera for extra power as a trigger..
I think that I have to use a red cable that exists on the back of the car near the camera and conect it with the cable of car’s rear light in order to take power from it and make my camera work...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #110
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
I didn’t use it and I made a call and it was fine... I am waiting the answer from BimmerTech too.. I sent them email..

The only problem for me is that my aftermarket camera displays black screen although i connected the yellow plug and the brown BimmerTech wire with the red one from my camera for extra power as a trigger..
I think that I have to use a red cable that exists on the back of the car near the camera and conect it with the cable of car’s rear light in order to take power from it and make my camera work...
Not sure on the camera I’m afraid, I’ve only got sensors on mine. Post an update when you find out what’s not working, I’m curious.
Appreciate 0