BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

01-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

DIY: iND F15/F16 Painted Rear Reflectors Removal and Install

After painstakingly have installed my grills on this damn thing I used my big fat ego of "No Fucks Given" after a few drinks last night and thought I'd just go in on the rear reflectors since I did my grills "Why the fuck not?"

Step 1: DO NOT USE A FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER LIKE ME! Luckily nothing happened to my paint but you are responsible for your own actions

Step 2: After you've gotten a plastic trim removal tool, the thinnest one possible, you need to insert it from the side closest to the trunk of each reflector.

Step 3: This one side will pop out giving you enough space for two fingers to slide in from the back (Usually all it takes : )

Step 4: Looking at the pics the center tab is the only one that pops into the bumper, all I did was give it a quick yank toward the inner side of the X5 on both sides and the whole unit popped outward.

Step 5: Insert the new painted reflector the reverse way of removing the OEM one. Start from the outside of the X5 toward the trunk.

Step 6 (Optional): Take a sip of your favorite drink and cry because you're wishing "Why couldn't everything on the X5 be this simple and DIY friendly.

Pics below.

Ok. Bye.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
F15d_RN50.50
      02-08-2015, 07:11 PM   #2
pdawg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 XDrive 35i

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Taran.J
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, LEX, MBZ, RAM, TESLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg
Thanks!
No prob, post up pics or any info you'd like to share which helped you do this better than I could
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #4
F15d_RN
Old Time Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 XDrive 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taran.J View Post
After painstakingly have installed my grills on this damn thing I used my big fat ego of "No Fucks Given" after a few drinks last night and thought I'd just go in on the rear reflectors since I did my grills "Why the fuck not?"

Step 1: DO NOT USE A FLAT HEAD SCREWDRIVER LIKE ME! Luckily nothing happened to my paint but you are responsible for your own actions

Step 2: After you've gotten a plastic trim removal tool, the thinnest one possible, you need to insert it from the side closest to the trunk of each reflector.

Step 3: This one side will pop out giving you enough space for two fingers to slide in from the back (Usually all it takes : )

Step 4: Looking at the pics the center tab is the only one that pops into the bumper, all I did was give it a quick yank toward the inner side of the X5 on both sides and the whole unit popped outward.

Step 5: Insert the new painted reflector the reverse way of removing the OEM one. Start from the outside of the X5 toward the trunk.

Step 6 (Optional): Take a sip of your favorite drink and cry because you're wishing "Why couldn't everything on the X5 be this simple and DIY friendly.

Pics below.

Ok. Bye.
Thanks for the write-up.
Helped me so much in installing this reflector that I bought from RG Sport.
I used a trim removal tool as u suggested.
Keep posting helpful stuff!

Last edited by F15d_RN; 09-11-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12982.00
      09-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Another slightly easier option is to reach up behind the bumper and just pop em out. Especially if you're worried about scratching the paint. Just a thought! I didn't do it this way cuz I wasn't aware until I pulled the bumper off to install tow hitch and saw it was possible.

Thanks for adding to the forum!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0