United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp, 2011 M3 E93

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
HELP: Car Warranty Issue w/ BMW

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I have a 2014 BMW M5 with a prod date of 10/2013 (second owner). I have 15k miles on it now. My Bmw sales advisor informed me I did not need to purchase my extended warranty until end of February because I had a floor model which was not sold until Feb 2014. Long story short I went to BMW this morning and they told me my car is no longer eligible for Gold/ Platinum extended warranty and my only option is Powertrain and I need to take it by tomorrow or it expires with BMW NA.

As I'm sure you can understand I am extremely pissed as I was misinformed by Service Advisor and money was not the issue. I'm not sure what to do here. Do you think I should take the Powertrain warranty? I tried fighting with them but got no where. They said once it's out of the system, I can no longer sign up.

Would I still qualify for any 3rd party warranties? If so, any recommendations or contacts?

Any info is helpful. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice here. I have a 2014 BMW M5 with a prod date of 10/2013 (second owner). I have 15k miles on it now. My Bmw sales advisor informed me I did not need to purchase my extended warranty until end of February because I had a floor model which was not sold until Feb 2014. Long story short I went to BMW this morning and they told me my car is no longer eligible for Gold/ Platinum extended warranty and my only option is Powertrain and I need to take it by tomorrow or it expires with BMW NA.

As I'm sure you can understand I am extremely pissed as I was misinformed by Service Advisor and money was not the issue. I'm not sure what to do here. Do you think I should take the Powertrain warranty? I tried fighting with them but got no where. They said once it's out of the system, I can no longer sign up.

Would I still qualify for any 3rd party warranties? If so, any recommendations or contacts?

Nah, forget the BMW Extended Warranty then. Give CNA National Warranty a call. You can get coverage for the F10 M5 for up to 150,000 miles with them and they have full platinum coverage too and their prices are awesome. This is what I've seen anyway. Good luck.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 2019 M5 Comp

The clock on the warranty begins with whatever the in service date was. Sounds almost like you bought a pool car? 1st owner was BMW NA maybe? Either way, if you're past the date, I don't think there's any opportunity to recover based on the verbal given by an SA.

With these cars, powertrain is obviously most important, but lots of opportunity for other non-covered issues to pop up. If you're deeply concerned about it, you could purchase an aftermarket warranty. You could even refinance the car with a credit union or a good bank, giving you access to better warranty providers. Just some options.

For me, after being around M cars since the early 2000's, I refuse to own one unless it's CPO or has a stellar aftermarket warranty. Just my $0.02.
      01-29-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
PRKELLY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Nah, forget the BMW Extended Warranty then. Give CNA National Warranty a call. You can get coverage for the F10 M5 for up to 150,000 miles with them and they have full platinum coverage too and their prices are awesome. This is what I've seen anyway. Good luck.
I do not believe that CNA sells to the public. I am almost positive of this, most 3rd party warranty companies are very difficult to work with and do not cover everything you want covered. Best of luck though!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRKELLY View Post
I do not believe that CNA sells to the public. I am almost positive of this, most 3rd party warranty companies are very difficult to work with and do not cover everything you want covered. Best of luck though!
To his point...this is why I mentioned a re-fi of the car. It would enable access to providers like CNA.
      01-29-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Thanks for the insight here from everyone! I am looking into 3rd party warranties now and I think that's the best option as it can potentially cover more than Bmw extended warranties. Reading through some threads on best companies and will start shopping.

I am never working with that BMW dealership that I've used for the past 5 Years again. I just cannot believe a service advisor can give you the wrong date and now I'm sitting here disqualified from OEM extended warranties. They take no responsibility and they offered me no discounts to make up for their mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Darkshear
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I can absolutely appreciate your situation and I can directly relate with your frustration over the error on the Service Advisers fault. I'm sure it feels basically like an opportunity was stolen from you and now you're forced out of your comfort zone with the car because someone made a mistake.

In the end I feel like it's on us, the consumer, to trust but verify. That guy has no accountability to BMW NA for providing erroneous information. Usually when I buy a car, I ask very politely for a copy of the Davis report with the original owner information redacted so I can see for myself what the in service date was. I stopped trusting the verbal word of service people when it came to me and my money.
      01-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
VoytekM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

http://fd-warranty.com/

Fidelity warranty. Email Troy, he'll help you out. Fidelity is the factory warranty for VW. Never had an issue and it's much cheaper than BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
pmatias03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5 Comp  [0.00]
Darkshear Thanks for the info. For the future I know to make sure I get a copy of the Davis report and check myself

VoytekM5 Thanks for the contact info! I will be sure to reach out
Appreciate 1
Darkshear154.00
      01-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
VoytekM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Just make sure you contact Troy before your factory warranty runs out. They cantwarrant a car out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:22 PM   #11
Herofmine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3, F10535i, 15 M5,340i,X5M

Garage List
2015 X5M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmatias03 View Post
Hey everyone,

It's not possible to buy CNA warranty for private parties! I need aftermarket warranty and don't know where to buy it? Dealers around me the do not sell it only bmw warranty but my oem warranty was voided long time ago.
Appreciate 0